Mazda Protege5

Hey there guys, I live in Houston, Texas and I'm shopping around for a Mazda Protege5, fell in love with it actually. After reading around about it, the major problem on this car seems to be rust and I plan to drive my next car til the end of it's life. Since the car is already 7 years old, do you guys think rust would be a problem here in Texas? Or should I go for the Toyota Matrix (I particularly like hatchbacks and can't afford the Mazda3 hatchback)
Thanks,
Jennifer

Hey neighbor, got an 03, no problems with rust here. Just don't buy one from up north or from somebody in Galveston.

Thanks for letting me know, actually, not only am I looking in Houston, but also, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Waco, and College Station. Can anyone tell me about these other areas? I know it snows sometimes in Dallas, but do they salt the roads?

Welcome I got mine last year in Houston no rust 78k miles now it has 149k.

We don't salt the roads here in DFW. Like many are suggesting, make sure you buy a Southern car. My car was originally from Mississippi and is rust free.

Mazda Protege 5 2002 - $3500 (houston)

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1428878736.html

2002 mazda protege5 hatcbback 5 speed 75000 miles - $4900 (houston )

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/1429844128.html

Hopefully you want manual. Good Luck!

wish i could have found a deal like either of those! i paid $7200 for mine with 89,000 miles on it. it was originally bought in new jersey, then moved to wisconsin. now lives in illinois. just found a tiny rust spot. but its really little...

The Matrix will probably rust at the same rate as the Protege5. Regardless, consider rust the least of your car concerns if you purchase a Southern car. Be sure to check the CarFax to make sure the car didn't migrate down from the rustbelt.

Last edited:
Ah, I saw those, unfortunately, I don't know how to drive manual and get distracted easily. But I did find one for 3500 in Dallas with a few minor dents. Also some in Houston for about 5000. I'll keep looking around, if not, there's a nice looking Protege ES close to me.
Thanks everyone,
Jennifer

Go with the Pro5, you will like it more than the Toyota. My car has never sat in any other driveway besides mine and has never been outside Texas. I have absolutely no issues with rust, there isn't a spot of rust anywhere on the car so you don't have that much to worry about for a southern car.

Another thought - I found a 2006 Mazda3 sedan with some minor dents and scratch for 5000. However I found some Pro5s in San Antonio for about 4500-4700 with no dent and perhaps some scratches. Do you guys think it's worth going for the Mazda3? Does the 2006 Mazda3 model have that dent problem that opens the door?

I honestly wish I could've gotten a Mazda3 hatch. They can be found for $6500-$8000 if you look hard enough.

Another thought - I found a 2006 Mazda3 sedan with some minor dents and scratch for 5000. However I found some Pro5s in San Antonio for about 4500-4700 with no dent and perhaps some scratches. Do you guys think it's worth going for the Mazda3? Does the 2006 Mazda3 model have that dent problem that opens the door?

As far as I know, the 04-07's had that issue. That's what put me off from buying a Mazda 3. There is a fix (dealer adds a plate in the door) but I've heard that it isn't effective with lots of force. That was a huge issue up here, and I think some Mazda 3 owners were banding together to start a class action lawsuit against Mazda Canada. Don't know if that is an issue south of the border though. Anyone else aware of the Mazda 3 break in issues?

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/19/mazda3-may-be-vulnerable-to-break-ins/

Last edited:
do what i did. fly to md,(i flew to TN) and drive back.

i have a p5, auto tiptronic. CLEAN as hell for sale. check sig for details.

(gossip) In southern cars look for rust under the seats, under the dash, weird smells or other signs that it might have been flooded. We do have flooding & hurricanes occasionally.

Latest posts

Back