Mazda Protege Keyless Entry Remotes & progamming instructions

Your driver's front door lock actuator is broken, the plastic gears inside them break and it's extremely common. I have replaced my DS rear once, it's pretty easy just remove the door panel and reach up to it near the top back corner of the door and unscrew the 2 phillips screws and unplug it and it comes right out. Hardest part is reaching it, make sure you get a Driver's front to replace it as they are unique for each side and front/rear.

Step 1: Open driver side door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock
switch on the door

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position. Do
this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off)
position.

Step 5: Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after
this step

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors once.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking
and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Additional remotes, repeat Step 7 for up to 3 remotes total.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a
final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks.

Just did this (I know, late to the party), and Step 9 should read:

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and close the driver's door. The ECU will respond a
final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks.

Other than that, worked perfectly first time.

Many thanks,

Dave O'H

So my remote stopped working all of a sudden.
When I press a button on the remote, the light on the remote will flash on. However, pressing the buttons doesn't do anything to my car.
I tried the programming steps and on Step 7 pressing the remote doesn't trigger a response from the ECU.
I know I did the steps right because I removed the key from the ignition (step 9) and the ECU responded.

Any ideas? Is the problem from the alarm wiring inside the car?

So my remote stopped working all of a sudden.
When I press a button on the remote, the light on the remote will flash on. However, pressing the buttons doesn't do anything to my car.
I tried the programming steps and on Step 7 pressing the remote doesn't trigger a response from the ECU.
I know I did the steps right because I removed the key from the ignition (step 9) and the ECU responded.

Any ideas? Is the problem from the alarm wiring inside the car?

if you used this, it should work...

keyless.JPG

Beyond frustrated, probably 3 hours invested in forums and programming - NO DICE. Bought a Mazda5 with just one Phob. So, ordered 2nd Phob and 2 spare transponder-only keys from legit site (based on forum feedback about malicious feebay sellers) and got soaked for $150 for the 3 keys. Then was able to recover a valet key (with transponder) after a couple months back-and-forth with previous owner who traded it in to the dealer. Thought with the one Phob and now one transponder key in hand, I would be able to program my new keys.

Following all of the steps to program the phob and keys have been unsuccessful, save having programmed the new phob to lock and unlock the car. But that's all it will do. I simply cannot get the spares or the new phob to clear the flashing security light and start the vehicle. Looks like I am going to have to brake down and visit the damn dealer.

I am beginning to think that there is a sequence issue between the coded phob and valet that is preventing new keys from programming. Any other insights into getting this to work would be appreciated.

WTF! Why is this working for everyone else but me? After following the steps specific for a 98' Millenia (open door, on-off-remove key 3 times), then my door locks fails to lock/unlock after pressing the door switch three times. I've waited 40 seconds and tried again over and over....but my door locks don't respond. What could be the issue?

This worked perfectly for me. It took me two tries, but sure enough, after step 5, all the doors locked and unlocked and my keyfob worked. Thanks for the shortened version.

UPDATE! BOTH my freshly programmed fobs stopped working. One of them has a new battery, and the other was fine before, so I don't think it's a fob battery issue.

So since it was so easy to program the remotes (having done it just the day before), I figured I'd try programming them to the car again. When the step comes up that you click any remote button twice and the car responds with the doors locking/unlocking... it no longer does. :( It doesn't seem to recognize them at all.

Any ideas?

Key fob technique works and just changed my front driver actuator! The hardest part was getting the actuator back in place! make sure you have your lock in the "lock" position!

Back