Mazda paint quality question, and concern with door dings.

I notice the Mazda thin paint quality too. Even with the front bumper covered by 3M the hood still get rock chip very easily.
The touch up pen from Mazda is like water based. Really disappointed with the quality in term of paint.

Yeah, it was $300 extra for the Soul Red(with Perl, still not sure what the perl in the Soul Red means??), but, I'm really really hoping it holds up better than red cars I've had in the past that eventually sun-fade to pink.

They may have the chemistry down today.
Used to be red was based on cadmium and white was based on titanium. Both oxidized eventually.

I notice the Mazda thin paint quality too. Even with the front bumper covered by 3M the hood still get rock chip very easily.
The touch up pen from Mazda is like water based. Really disappointed with the quality in term of paint.

So far I don't have a single ding.... the winter passes will be the true test.

Often I read on automotive forums, about "thin paint" and "thin sheet metal", yawn. But never are any actual measurements or comparative data points included.

After 2+ years of CX-5 ownership, I found the white paint and sheet metal to be no less durable than the many cars/SUVs that I've owned in last decade. The most signficant wear I noticed was the carpet on dead pedal platform in drivers footwell. That should have a rubber/plastic cover, even cheapo Honda Civics have one.

Often I read on automotive forums, about "thin paint" and "thin sheet metal", yawn. But never are any actual measurements or comparative data points included.

After 2+ years of CX-5 ownership, I found the white paint and sheet metal to be no less durable than the many cars/SUVs that I've owned in last decade. The most signficant wear I noticed was the carpet on dead pedal platform in drivers footwell. That should have a rubber/plastic cover, even cheapo Honda Civics have one.

Well said and spot on!

Car with the thinnest metal I've ever seen on a car was 25 years ago. A 1989 Mitsubishi Eclipse. Can't see any new car being thinner. My 1990 mustang had thin paint that I buffed down to the primer, while my 2000 camaro had thick paint was like new after 7 years. Depends on the car and the color. Metallic paints tend to be thickest. Guess we can write off newer=thinner as an old wives tale.

Just as another story, I bought a brand new Dodge Caravan(Black), after the first few years, 3 or 4, I think, the entire top/roof black paint peeled off, leaving the white/silvery primer. Took it back to my Stealer I purchased it from, and they tried to tell me it was because I didn't take proper care of it, you know, washing and waxing, blah, blah, blah. I disagreed, telling them, it shouldn't matter if I did absolutely nothing to it, even if I never washed or waxed it, it still shouldn't have peeled off like that. They eventually agreed enough, that they had it repainted at no charge, then it was fine the rest of the time I had it. Kind of weird that the top peeled off like that.

My 2014 Pearl White CX-5 has a crap ton of paint chips on the front bumper and 3 or 4 on the hood as well. I drive on the highway 5 days a week, but my previous car which was a 2004 toyota matrix held up MUCH better against the elements compared to the CX-5.

The high profile of the CX-5 and its higher frontal area, when compared with a sedan for example, contribute directly to the hit ratio.
A car with a smaller frontal area will get hit less than the CX-5.

My 2014 Sky Blue CX-5 has about 10 paint chips on the bumper and hood. It seems to scratch easily as well. The paint seems very soft. I've owned mine now for about 1 year 9 months.

I have the Sky Blue myself and every time the hatch touches the wood garage door, the paint chips/dings in that spot. I have to use a cloth, when I open the hatch.

Back