Mazda p5 tranny HELP

RobJ

alright i am the proud new owner of a auto p5, and once in a while when im driving the tranny doesnt really slip, it just seems like it pops out of gear into N. so i put it in neutral and back into drive and it works fine until it pops out again. i am goin to change the tranny fluid and hope that fixes it. please if you have any ideas on whats next tell me

wow... never heard of a auto trans popping out of gear like that.

Edit: it shifts fine and everything just randomly pops out of gear? Does it do this when its shifting? When you say it pops out of gear and goes to N is that the shifter or just feels like its out of gear(I imagine its this). I'm no trans expect and only taking a while stab in the dark but it might be as something as simple as a faulty transmission shift solenoid.

Last edited:
wow... never heard of a auto trans popping out of gear like that.

Edit: it shifts fine and everything just randomly pops out of gear? Does it do this when its shifting? When you say it pops out of gear and goes to N is that the shifter or just feels like its out of gear(I imagine its this). I'm no trans expect and only taking a while stab in the dark but it might be as something as simple as a faulty transmission shift solenoid.

I concur. Get your car scanned for any codes (the CEL doesn't have to be on for there to be a code), and check the condition of your tranny fluid. It should be pink and sweetish smelling.

thanks alot, i was heading in that direction. maybe somthing like it just need adjusted or a tensioner needs tightening

thanks alot, i was heading in that direction. maybe somthing like it just need adjusted or a tensioner needs tightening

There's nothing that can be adjusted in your transmission (it's not belt-driven (eyeballs)).

Check your fluids, and scan for codes, and if that doesn't turn up anything, take it to a mechanic.

alrighty well i did the tranny fluid, and it worked for like 3 days but now its back to poping out again. i have no idea

check your motor mounts. is the shifter popping into neutral? the shifter in car connects to trans by a cable. about 99.9% sure and if the engine rocks it might pull into neutral. wouldn't hurt to inspect lol.

Back