mazda noob needing help :)

yugo

:
2000 Mazda Protege LX
Hello all,
Sorry this is my first post and it is asking for help.

I have dealt with VW's all my life (mostly with the VR6 engines) and I had a few at a point of time. I ended up selling all my VW's when I got married and picking up a 2000 Mazda Protege LX for the wife.

When I bought the car it had no issues, no sounds, nothing. For the past few weeks it has started to make a clicking sound at acceleration anywhere in between 1000rpm and 2800rpm. It quiets down as the rpms are higher. It makes no noises at idle but when accelerating it makes a fast paced clicking noise. It does it louder when I turn on the AC. It is definitely coming from the bottom of the engine (took a stetoscope to the ears and listened to where the sound is coming from).

I've tried researching for it on Google but nothing really that pertains to this. Tried listening to some sounds on youtube of possibly bad rod bearings/rod knocks and those seem to be at a lower and slower paced clicking, some people told me it could be a bad flex plate but the sounds i've heard on youtube aren't the same. I even replaced the oil to see if it can quiet it down with a little addition of Lucas, but nothing.

Any help would be appreciated from some Mazda OG's.

The car in question is:
2000 Mazda Protege LX 1.6L Automatic Trans. w/out ABS. 125k miles.

Could it be a leaking exhaust manifold gasket? When cold, start the engine and place your hand in the area of suspicion. If you feel pulses of air, chances are an exhaust leak is present.

Back