Mazda NA product development strategy

I think the person who said there is no upgrade path nailed it. Why would you move from a Mazda 3 to a Mazda 6? Same engine but bigger and most likely slower car. The Mazda 3 is a great deal but the 6, not so much. You could basically get a V6 Accord for the same money as a 6 GT. The SUV line up has some logic. The CX-3 has the 2.0, the CX-5 has the 2.5 and the CX-9 has the 2.5T. The 3 and 6 need to follow suite.

Also, the Mazda 3 2L were all supposed to be made in mexico and the 2.5 in Japan. My sons 2.0 was made in Japan. I think Mazda is having issues with their mexico plant.

I think the person who said there is no upgrade path nailed it. Why would you move from a Mazda 3 to a Mazda 6? Same engine but bigger and most likely slower car.

Over here Mazda 3 2.5 and Mazda 6 are roughly the same

Mazda could be the niche of niche is they become the first player to do 48 volt mild hybrid
to their whole line-up ....

Not full EV .. not even plug in ... so lower development cost
with a implementation cost of $1500-$2000 more per vehicle for
that sweet low end electric torque boost and fuel economy maybe ???

I know I am dreamin ... but the tech is already out there ...

Hope Toyota doesn't infect Mazda with their white goods/appliance mentality.

I'm guessing Mazda gains some of Toyota's hybrid/electric R&D and US manufacturing capacity in exchange for some of Mazda's Skyactiv R&D (efficient ICE engines, platforms) and 5% stake in Mazda. Toyota is already looking in to using the Miata platform for something (was it the FR-S?) if I recall.

Mazda gets to focus on what it does well (Skyactiv innovation and engaging vehicles) and gains thoroughly tested/developed electric tech to complement it with.

Clearly they should build a pickup (rlaugh)

Why not? I'd get this before I got a Ford or Chevy

mercedes-just-announced-their-first-pickup-truck--and-its-gorgeous.jpg

Last edited:
If they now have a plant in the US, then Mazda can build and sell trucks here again.

I wonder if it would be a true BT-50 or a rebranded Tacoma or Hilux?
A Mazda designed/engineered Tacoma would be interesting and I can see it being a pretty good daily driver for those people who like pickups.

Edit: IMO the BT-50 pickups I've seen in previous years were pretty ugly to me.

A Mazda designed/engineered Tacoma would be interesting and I can see it being a pretty good daily driver for those people who like pickups.

Edit: IMO the BT-50 pickups I've seen in previous years were pretty ugly to me.
Over here the BT50 is a twin of the Ford Ranger. But they next model Mazda is going with Isuzu for their new utility or what you guys call pick up.

Back