Mazda mechanics almost injured us... what should I do? (lugs nuts missing/loose)

Coqui258

Contributor
:
2003 Black Mica Protege5
Short story:

Took car in for TCM replacement and oil change/tire rotation. Got the car Wed. Wife noticed knocking sound, thought it was a nail in tire. I took car Saturday with my family to see if I could hear it, nothing until I was on my way home. Knocking very loud.

Checked out the car today, and saw that 3 lug nuts were MISSING from the rear passenger tire, and the two remaining were loose! I know it was them because I have Mazda wheel locks, and it's not there, so they can't say someone loosened them. I am SO upset because we had our families in that car on highways and that tire could have easily come off.

What should I do? I'm going to call them and leave a message today (closed sundays). But what should/can we demand? Obviously they made a major risk of life by doing that. Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
I would contact mazda usa and let them know as well. There is no excuse for forgetting to put the wheels back on right.

bump... any advice as to what to expect? I'm taking the car first thing in the morning.

Contact MazdaUSA,the dealership owner (probably have to leave a message), the Service MANAGER and see if your paperwork reflects the name of the technician that touched your vehicle. Basically be on the phone all talking to Management about the problem.
That type of crap is unacceptable from anywhere, especially a dealership!

The key is talking to management, the low level representatives wont be able to do much. And I would def contact MazdaUSA.

So what is acceptable for them to offer me? I don't want to go in there tomorrow with low/high expectations...

Talk to Mazdausa first. The dealer will probably just shrug it off like its not a huge deal. Maybe give you a free oil change and a high five.

I'll wait til the morning to call them... they open at 9 EST. Then I'll call the dealer and see if they got my nasty message.

If the dealership calls you back, as a way to get your point across, I would just tell, them "Because of this, I am now in contact with MazdaUSA". Sometimes tactics like that work in your favor.

Ok... all done. Got new wheel locks to replace the missing one. They checked all the components of the wheels/brakes and they were fine. At first offered a free oil change. Called them back and got a full tank of gas and oil change, then called again and got front brakes for $100 off.

The service manager apologized, and my wife was ok with that.

Well good to hear the service manager apologized and that they made some reparations for it. Personally I would have asked for all that and a face to face apology from the tech that touched my car. But that's just cause I'm like that.

all that goes to show that honestly the home mechanic knows more and does a better job than some ase wrench head......well moat of them.......things like this are happening more and more

Back