Mazda Fog Lights

apexanimal

:
2013 CX5 Sport, 6mt
Are they decent? Beam pattern? Brightness?

I've got a sport and am considering installing them...

Anyone else done this?

As far as usable fog lights they are kind of useless, like most all cuvs fog lights these days. They light up the 5 feet directly in front of the car though. If that's what you are after they are great.
They do look way better than the blank plastic that the sport has though so if your goal is aesthetics, go for it.

Normally, I never see a use for Fogs except for looks. But I have to admit these one are the brightess I had. They do help for the first five feets and will "complete" the lightning on the sides.

Still nothing major but I like them.

Normally I would prefer driving lights to fog lights but two weeks ago with snow still on the ground and with warm air rolling in viz dropped to about a 100'. Twas a dark and foggy night that the fog lights and the GPS that got me around some strange roads in the Pinelands trying to get around an accident that had closed the main road.

the extra contrast from the fog light is what i'm after... a bit wider field of vision would be nice too...

the hid's would be nice but would be $$$...

aftermarket HID is $35 from ddmtuning.
You have to take out the center metal ring inside the fog light housing though.

The stock fog lights are absolute garbage. I never use mine. However, the fog lights on my wife's Elantra GT are great. They add a great amount of light to the edges of the road and the area directly in front of the car. That said, I have the GT w/ Tech package and I feel the headlights are perfect. I've never needed to use the fog lights. The headlights in the Elantra GT are mediocre, so the powerful fog lights really help.

They are horrid. Slapping HID's into them will just cause glare to others without much benefit form lighting. Even with 50w HID plug and play H11 HID kits. Tried many solutions to better proper lighting to them. Same exact (for part) foglights on both my RX-8 CX-5 and a Mazda3 in the family. Had every combination imaginable. Ended up with converting 50w 2500kelvin color temp halogen H9 (higher lumen) bulbs with converted housings to fit our H11 housing. I have a long post on foglights some here if you search.

Good call on the h9... I didn't connect them, but the subie guys have been doing that exact thing for a while with good results... I'll likely do that for my low beams...

Does anyone know the diameter and depth of the foglight housings?

Try to find factory HID's, they are hands down the brightest lights I've seen on a car, like, insanely bright and the AFS is a cool feature. With the headlights on, it's almost impossible to see the fogs, but like others say, they look way cooler than black plastic.

Is the only difference between the halogen housings and the hid housings the hid bulb/ballast itself? Ie, are the basically interchangeable?

Bump for the question about fog light housing size

Is the only difference between the halogen housings and the hid housings the hid bulb/ballast itself? Ie, are the basically interchangeable?

Bump for the question about fog light housing size

The housing is completely different, need to buy the whole headlight assembly.

Not sure about the fog light housing size.

that's what i thought...

for the price i'm just going to get the $25-30 h9 bulbs and put them in... the extra lumens will certainly help...

my thought for the foglights, is to get just the black plastic shroud for the foglights and fitting some hella/piaa/etc real fog lights in them...

What about using something like this?

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

$_3.JPG

Yeah something like that... I can do without the halos but that's the idea... Hella and Piaa have small housing foglights tha I'm looking into... If I can get the stock housing dimensions it'll make the searching easier... :)

That is what I'm thinking that I will install. They have to be sealed housing, because some of these Ebay kits are not sealed. Most likely the halos can be disabled.
Most of the fog lights are H1 and not H11s.

Back