Mazda demonstrates that small lightweight cars be safe too

Antoine

Administrator
Mazda demonstrates that small lightweight cars be safe too

mazda2_ncap__jpg72.jpg

The doors stay intact and functional

When Mazda introduced their new B-class car, the Mazda2, earlier this year one of the most interesting technical aspects of the car was that the company bucked the seemingly irreversible trend of making new models bigger and heavier. The new car is more than 200 lbs lighter than its predecessor.

While many people (particularly SUV owners) seem to think that lighter cars are inherently less safe this doesn't necessarily have to be the case. The new Mazda2 has just completed its EuoNCAP crash testing and received the maximum five stars for adult crash protection and four stars for child protection. It's not clear why smaller children would fair worse than adults but the ratings are still very good such a small car.

-AutoblogGreen

about 5 miles an hour and thats what it looked like....(rofl2). small cars are safe...yeah right. nah...looks like it was movin at least 40 or so.

james

1020 kg or 2250lbs for the heaviest model on the Mazda Japan webpage.

-Derrick

Last edited:
If you are talking about single car collisions (such as running into a tree or concrete wall) small cars can be just as safe or safer than big cars. When you have a collision with another vehicle (such as a Mazda 2 crashing with an SUV) physics dictates the smaller mass is going to react with the greatest change in velocity. That change in velocity is what causes injuries. (You know its not the fall that kills you, its the sudden stop at the bottom!)

So, don't be fooled by claims that small cars are just as safe as big cars, no matter what the manufacturers say.

Here is a little example.. Say you have a head on collision between a 5000lb SUV and a 2500lb small car. Lets say both cars are traveling at 30 MPH. Assuming the cars stay in one piece, after the collision, they will both be traveling at 15 MPH in the direction the SUV was traveling. The occupants of the SUV will have experienced a decelleration of 15 MPH the same as if they hit a concrete wall while going 15 MPH. The small car passengers will have experienced a decelleration of 45 MPH. No matter how safe the vehicles are, do you think you would stand a better chance of walking away from hitting a concrete wall at 45 MPH or at 15 MPH? SUV wins!!!

I have a good laugh about the smart cars too and all of the safety testing they have done. If you get hit by a chevy suburban it is game over. They always show them crashing into non moving objects not getting hit by 7000lbs moving objects.

-Derrick

well thats neither here nor there. if the argument is 'if you get hit by a 7000lb what ever its game over' then it doesnt matter what your in.
unless your in a tank you dont have a really good chance if you get hit by something big and heavy.
Mazda (and any car manufacturer) are simply toting that according to standard test procedures these cars test well.
thats great they crash test well and all. i'm just excited for it to be very light weight. hopefully it wont balloon to much when it gets to America.

well thats neither here nor there. if the argument is 'if you get hit by a 7000lb what ever its game over' then it doesnt matter what your in.
unless your in a tank you dont have a really good chance if you get hit by something big and heavy.
Mazda (and any car manufacturer) are simply toting that according to standard test procedures these cars test well.
thats great they crash test well and all. i'm just excited for it to be very light weight. hopefully it wont balloon to much when it gets to America.

Mazdas survive wrecks fairly well. In my last 323 I had hit someone sideways at an intersection and totaled his Toyota. I drove my 323 home. I have also crashed several others and walked away from the wrecks.

-Derrick

That is what I read.

It will be a fun car at 2100 lbs. Hit the 200 whp mark and it will fly!

Derrick

Back