Mazda CX-9 reliability - how will it compare?

P5w3kids

:
2003 P5
I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

Thanks to the help of Antoine and this forum, for which I'm very grateful, we've had good participation by CX-9 owners. But more participants remain needed to fully cover all model years.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the CX-9, for free. I'll share results for the CX-9 in this thread after each update.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research

Last edited:
P5w3kids said:
I have very few of these enrolled so far. Once I have enough to start collecting data, I should have results within four to six months.

In comparison, I have nearly 50 GMC Acadias and Saturn Outlooks signed up.

I'm in.

sbmrinaldi said:
If you need another let me know.

I'll always need more participants - you can't have too large a sample. But right now I need more CX-9s just to start collecting data.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Up to 14, so many more owners are needed. For the competing GMC Acadia and Saturn Enclave a total of 90 owners have signed up. I've posted a preliminary result for those vehicles, with an official result coming in the next update, in August.

The recently posted results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

I don't know who caame up with the idea od TRUE DELTA but my hat goes off to you...I just tried it quickly and it is a fenomenal place for comparisons...keep the good work

There will be a non-asterisked result for the 2007 in a week or two. Thanks, guys.

If you haven't yet responded, more responses would still be helpful, as the current sample size is borderline.

Looking good for a result on the 2008 in February, if owners continue to sign up at the current rate. This will be months ahead of any other source of reliability info.

If you've bought or are about to buy a 2008, please consider signing up and helping to make this possible. More 2007s also needed.

Vehicle reliability research

Consumer Reports

The latest Consumer Reports has listed the CX-9 as not recommened due to reliability issues.

Now, before everyone goes ballistic, I went to the website and looked at the rating catagories. There are only two areas where the CX-9 was rated lower than better or above average. Those two areas were Drive System which was average, and the Audio System which was rated worse.

How an audio system can be considered a "reliablity" item is beyond me. Yeah, it's annoying to have to go to the dealer for repairs but a dead or malfunctioning audio system isn't going to strand you anywhere. But this appears to be the area that caused the recommendation when compared to ratings of other recommended vehicles.

The Drive System is another matter but, at worst, it's still average. And Drive System is an item seperate of either engine or transmission so that would have to refer to the differentials, drive shafts, half shafts and so forth.

Of course, the catch is that they don't comment on the specific failures reported so you have no way of knowing what the nature of the problems were to either know what to look out for or assess the severity of the problem.

Based on what I saw the not recommended rating wasn't justified.

Ted

I checked out the CR reliability survey too, and I don't understand the "not recommended" rating either. I have searched the forums for any issue related to this "drive systems", and can't find anything, except maybe for that left/right pulling issue which seemed to be a factory alignment problem.

I also looked at the ratings for the Outlook/Acadia, which CR recommends: no black circles, but plenty of half red circles, plenty more than the CX-9.

Makes no sense. If that one black circle for the radio was the main factor for the recommendation, that's just silly. Because, as we all know, CR is the bible to many people, and this certainly won't help sales.

The results that TrueDelta will officially release in a few days will show the CX-9 as average. This is based on five months more data than CR had, since most of their surveys were returned back in April.

The CX-7, on the other hand, is faring much worse.

CR's methods have many problems. You'll also notice that "rattles and squeaks" is now a category. They ask people to only report "serious problems." What's a serious rattle?

I just posted a blog entry about this yesterday:

http://www.truedelta.com/blog/?p=185

When you can have so many people reporting rattles as "serious," something ain't right.

The results that TrueDelta will officially release in a few days will show the CX-9 as average. This is based on five months more data than CR had, since most of their surveys were returned back in April.

The CX-7, on the other hand, is faring much worse.

CR's methods have many problems. You'll also notice that "rattles and squeaks" is now a category. They ask people to only report "serious problems." What's a serious rattle?

I just posted a blog entry about this yesterday:

http://www.truedelta.com/blog/?p=185

When you can have so many people reporting rattles as "serious," something ain't right.

You're correct. Unless the survey clearly defines what constitutues a serious anything you leave it up to individual perception and one man's minor issue will be another man's earth shattering failure.

I've received CR surveys on a previous vehicles and after taking one of them I can honestly say I'm seriously underwhelmed by their methodology. It's really little better than the manufacturer's CSI surveys that have become virtually meaningless.

All I can say is that, so far, at 2700+ miles my CX-9 hasn't had any problems.

Ted

I have little faith in CR anymore. Bought one of their "Recommended" cars (new) once only to have it become listed on "used cars to avoid" 4 years later. Lot of help their advice was!
I checked out the CR reliability survey too, and I don't understand the "not recommended" rating either. I have searched the forums for any issue related to this "drive systems", and can't find anything, except maybe for that left/right pulling issue which seemed to be a factory alignment problem.

I also looked at the ratings for the Outlook/Acadia, which CR recommends: no black circles, but plenty of half red circles, plenty more than the CX-9.

Makes no sense. If that one black circle for the radio was the main factor for the recommendation, that's just silly. Because, as we all know, CR is the bible to many people, and this certainly won't help sales.

Cant sign up, but Ill tell u this. No problems at all, no unsheduled visits to the dealer. 08 model, 4500 miles. Add me to your list.

Back