Mazda CX-9 2016 : LA Auto Show

It was announced that the turbo version will require premium 93 octane.

Certain regional areas will only have 91 octane but that will de-tune the power ratings of the engine.

It was announced that the turbo version will require premium 93 octane.

Certain regional areas will only have 91 octane but that will de-tune the power ratings of the engine.

Really, 93? Do you have the announcement link?

Really, 93? Do you have the announcement link?

Lbear, here is the whole picture on octane. 87 octane is fine, torque remains 310ft/lbs at 2000 RPM! The HP rating drops 23 HP with 87octane.

Here is the excerpt from the MAZDA regarding octane ratings and power...

"The cooled EGR helps bring engine temperatures down from approximately 500 degrees C (932 F) to just over 100 degrees C (212 F), allowing SKYACTIV-G 2.5T to operate with a compression ratio of 10.5:1—one of the highest numbers of any gasoline-powered, turbocharged engine.

The net result: 310 lb-ft (420 N-m) of torque at a low 2,000 rpm and 250 horsepower at 5,000 rpm on 93-octane gasoline (227 horsepower on 87-octane gasoline). At 55 mph (88 km/h), a driver needs just 18 horsepower to maintain speed on flat roads with a front-wheel-drive model—a four-horsepower reduction versus the outgoing model, illustrating reduced friction in all parts of the driveline and enhanced aerodynamics."

Here is the complete MAZDA CX-9 Press Packet for you to read... LOTS OF GOOD SPECS AND INFO INSIDE>>

http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/mazda-news/2016-mazda-cx-9/

a very nice looking vehicle. only thing I don't really like is the continued placement of the infotainment screens on top of the dash. too bad they didn't integrate it into the dash ala CX5.

So this is similar in theory to BMW's twin turbo configuration. A smaller turbo charger is for low rpm and larger turbo charger is for the rest.

I still prefer a non-turbo SkyActiv V6 though...

Or more interestingly a silky smooth an Inline-6 Skyactive engine to match the long hood. Then again a turbo 4 would have better gas mileage.

@ banjos-n-beer
it follows the placement of the mazda 3 and 6

i wasn't thrilled until i drove a maz3 loaner while cx-5 was in for service, it is Not as noticeable as it looks from outside, fits right into the top of the dash and easy to see

checked it again earlier today (on both the 3 and 6 models) when i was in the dealership - looks fine from inside the vehicle

the previous cx-9s have a smaller screen and it's below a row of ac/heat etc dials set into the dash - cx-5 definitely has the old -9 beat in that regard

that said - agree - prefer the cx-5 placement

Last edited:
We own the 3 as well and I must say I prefer the 3's setup better. The screen does not block outward visibility in any way and I prefer the lower / concave dash setup.

Waiting to hear official EPA numbers for this engine, but I think Mazda did a wonderful job. We don't have a need for such a big vehicle and I hope Mazda will have much success with this one. Even if the 2.5LT was available in the CX-5, we would still probably get the regular 2.5L. I don't see why this type of car needs more power. It is perfectly capable as is and it is not a sports car. Some would get it to tow stuff, I never needed to tow anything.

That said, if a Mazdaspeed 3 was available, I might be tempted to get it with a larger engine than the engine in the perfectly capable Mazda 3i.

I wonder what the differences are between the CX9's new iACTIV-AWD and the CX5's Active Torque Split AWD?

I wonder what the differences are between the CX9's new iACTIV-AWD and the CX5's Active Torque Split AWD?

It's probably a different programming that will allow the AWD to react differently in braking situations.

I doubt they would install a newly designed AWD system when they just redesigned it for the 2016 CX5.

It's probably a different programming that will allow the AWD to react differently in braking situations.

I doubt they would install a newly designed AWD system when they just redesigned it for the 2016 CX5.
All of the information on the I-ACTIV AWD is described in the press packet posted above.

As far as I know, there are no differences between the 2013 I-ACTIV AWD and 2016 I-ACTIV AWD on the CX-5. But I always welcome the correction...

Here is the information quoted directly from MAZDA on the I-ACTIV AWD, from the CX-9 press packet.

"i-ACTIV AWD Predicts Road Conditions for Maximum Stability

In 2013 when Mazda introduced its first full-SKYACTIV vehicle, CX-5, it also ushered in its i-ACTIV AWD system that could instantly recognize road conditions and adjust response accordingly. Mazda’s all-wheel-drive system in the previous CX-9 took approximately 10 factors into account, including on-road speed, engine rpm and wheel slip, among others. The information was then fed through the onboard computers that would modulate torque transfer between front and rear axles.

i-ACTIV AWD upped the ante, implementing a host of other sensors that were already integrated into vehicles for other functions and channeling the information they presented such as ambient temperature, steering wheel angle, longitudinal grip, brake fluid pressure and even windshield wiper movement. In all, i-ACTIV AWD brings 27 different sensors together to paint a picture of road conditions and direct torque to the rear wheel as necessary, predicting what the driver may face on a slick road in the winter or in heavy rain.

i-ACTIV AWD measures road conditions 200 times every second and can adjust power distribution to account for wheel slip even in dry conditions. It can even route power to limit understeer during spirited driving, sending as much as 50 percent of CX-9’s power to the rear wheels through Mazda’s proven six-speed SKYACTIV-DRIVE automatic transmission."

Last edited:
I have seen it today at the show.
They did not let us see it inside. It was just spinning on the podium.
It looks very nice. One thing that I kind of don't like, is the front grill sticks out even more, the ours.
I was kind of disappointing in what I have seen at the show.
Definitely Mazda was one of the most exciting brands there. The most nicest cars at one brand.
The new Ford Edge, Mustang were nice.
Lincolns, Kia Sportage, Infinity Q50 and the NSX(only), Volvo X90, Porsche 911 targa, Jaguar SUV(all of the Jaguars), Alfa Romeo Giulia, were the nice cars.
Everything else, was a disappointment or no change.
Mercedes and BMW have way to many models, you get lost with what they have there. One Mercedes, looks like an SLK front half is joined with a 911 back.
There is not much change at Audi, Acura is very boring, Lexus is a joke, etc.
Bottom line, I'm still fine with my choice after two years of ownership. No regrets.

Last edited:
Or more interestingly a silky smooth an Inline-6 Skyactive engine to match the long hood. Then again a turbo 4 would have better gas mileage.

I do like how Mazda designers have created the illusion of a long hood, but the short dash to axle length is still a dead giveaway that it's a FWD car with a transverse engine. As cool as I6 engines are, it can't happen unless it's longitudinal, which is extremely rare in a FWD based vehicle.

It's much easier to see this on the cars compared to SUV/CUV body style.

Last edited:
I'll gladly take another 44lbs of sound insulation on the cx5. Would perfectly refine it for my taste and drown out the crude header noise.

Latest posts

Back