Mazda 94 Hood Problem

I needed to replace the hood and got one in perfect condition from a 96 in the junkyard. These are supposed to be interchangeable. I also took the hinges from it, as the old hinges were broken off the rivets (the original hood blew off from latch failure!). Everything installed properly and looks aligned, but when I tried to close it the rear (closest to windshield) was not closing flush with the fender and is raised on each side. I noticed the hood was being held up by about an inch from each side because it was getting hung up from the metal lip (the ones isolated and adjacent to the hood hinges mounted to the car) and was creating a dent. Why is this happening? I tried to align the hood back and forth but there is no way to keep it from contacting and rubbing against the inside of the hood. Plz help!

Here is a link to the hood photos for reference:

Hood Photos

Hope I can get some help, I cant drive the car without it!

I noticed that the hood on the '94 Protege I'm building is doing the same thing. From what I can tell though it isn't hitting the little latch like in your pictures. We might have the same cause though. I'll be checking it more once I get around to it, but I believe the problem is from the body where the hood latches bolt getting deformed when the hood flew up. You might have already checked that since you replaced the hinges as well. I need to take off the fender and look.

Back