Mazda 5 Turbo

I had a Beretta (a what?) that I turbocharged myself. It ran 13.4's @ 105 MPH in the 1/4. It was fun, but not what I want to think about in a family car.

I spent about $2000 using used parts. The 5 would be relatively easy to turbocharge if the aftermarket ECM stuff is there and you don't have to pass emissions.

Tranny. Fear a turbo with this tranny plus the added weight of this car (it isnt a mazda3). If someone has the kind of time to put a turbo on a 5 you probably dont have kids, and in that case should just trade it in and buy a ms3, OR, feel free to rip the drive train out of the 5 and drop a v8 and make it rwd....hubba hubba.

You need to determine what the safe amount of boost is for this engine. Then you need to address fueling (and timing) control. Most normally aspirated engines can handle ~5psi safely, some more. The key to forced induction is tuning. Outside of the engine, the transaxle is probably you're next concern. If this unit is indeed the same auto from the 3, then you may have reason for concern. For example, I've an Lexus RX300 which uses the exact same transaxle internals as the 800lbs lighter Camry. So it's no surprise that the transaxles in the RX300 are notorious for failing pre 100k miles while they last forever in the Camry.

For the nay-sayers - IMO adding power to the 5 is no different than what Mitsu did to the Lancer with Evo, or Subie did to the Imprezza with the WRX/STI... practical performance. The 5 would just be the next step. No different than the AMG ML55 and now ML63 sport ute... badass practicality.

you can't rely on a turbo Mazda 5 to pick ur kids up and why would u turbo a mazda 5 in the first place its a minivan... ya the thought is neat but come on

Well being one of the only 4 cyl. mini-vans in the market, it would be nice to have a van that would return 28 mpg if you stayed out of the turbo. But when the van was fully loaded, could pull on the the highway with extra torque when needed.(bowdown)

If the 5 came in turbo stock I would buy one yesterday.(five-0)

You need to determine what the safe amount of boost is for this engine. Then you need to address fueling (and timing) control. Most normally aspirated engines can handle ~5psi safely, some more. The key to forced induction is tuning. Outside of the engine, the transaxle is probably you're next concern. If this unit is indeed the same auto from the 3, then you may have reason for concern. For example, I've an Lexus RX300 which uses the exact same transaxle internals as the 800lbs lighter Camry. So it's no surprise that the transaxles in the RX300 are notorious for failing pre 100k miles while they last forever in the Camry.

For the nay-sayers - IMO adding power to the 5 is no different than what Mitsu did to the Lancer with Evo, or Subie did to the Imprezza with the WRX/STI... practical performance. The 5 would just be the next step. No different than the AMG ML55 and now ML63 sport ute... badass practicality.

good tuning limits for the trans and engine have already been nailed down for the 2.0 and 2.3 - i know exactly where i'd set my limits at if i were ever to do this. talk to me in 2012 when the warranty runs dry :D

I always thought that the old KL-ZE 2.5L V6 would be sweet in a 5, though the American KLs were only about 160HP, so about the same at the 2.3L in the 5. The other cool option would be the KJ-ZEM 2.3L supercharges engine. Too bad the high output stuff was JDM only though...

I suppose one could do a Nitrous system on a 5?...

there is plenty of cubic footage in the back for stacks upon stacks of NOS bottles ;)

Mazda5

People always buy cars for their needs, and i believe everyone else is just like me, buying a mazda5 to fit my family of 4, not for speed. don't risk your life, but enjoy it. It is free. Plus, spend your money right, and don't waste it for speeding tickets. Speeding ticket costs more than you think it does. Think before stepping on the gas pedal. A real race is on the track not on the street.

If you can do it, then go ahead, it would definitely be something i'd like to see... but like i said in a previous post, i would much rather spend that $$ on a WRX wagon or a MS3... those would outperform all...

Just because you buy a car to satisfy your needs like i did being a single dad with two boys and always enough stuff to require wagon or 5dr hatch as many prefer it to be called...that doesn't mean it can't be fun to drive. I got a little carried away but she is part of my family and my boys love her as much as I do! She's been there more for my boys than their mom has so...

People always buy cars for their needs, and i believe everyone else is just like me, buying a mazda5 to fit my family of 4, not for speed. don't risk your life, but enjoy it. It is free. Plus, spend your money right, and don't waste it for speeding tickets. Speeding ticket costs more than you think it does. Think before stepping on the gas pedal. A real race is on the track not on the street.
Truth is, even if people weren’t adding performance to their 5’s or other grocery getters, wouldn’t make a bit of difference. Chevy’s putting a 638hp monster ZR1 Vette on the US roadways, WRX’s with healthy 200+ hp numbers are literally everywhere with drivers ranging from 16yo’s to soccer moms, and crotch rockets, well, I don’t know if there’s a point to owning one if you’re always going to behave. Mazda’s entire heritage is built on the premise of Zoom-Zoom, the point of Mazda ownership is to have a little fun with them.

I can appreciate that you’re a responsible driver, but just because someone wants to add some performance to their car doesn’t make them inherently wrong. If someone’s street racing against rice boy while having an infant sleeping in the back seat, well that’s a different story, but I do drive my 5 plenty without my family riding along, so… I dunno, to each their own I guess. But whether you like it or not, fast cars will always exist whether they be modified Mazda5’s or stock Vipers.

Oh, and my 5 wasn't free... I paid like, I dunno, $21 grand. Really, what's another $4k for a turbo kit or $150 speeding ticket in the big picture :p

Last edited:
Saab nows turbo

I'm hoping I'll be able to get a Mitsubishi turbo by then. The Saab Aero has a Mitsu, and the others had Garrett. I have yet to see a post from an Aero owner losing a turbo.

Yep I had a Swedish spec '95 Saab Aero 9000 in 5-speed was the only one that had the Mitsu. TD04 turbo in the 16 valve 2.3L four and MAN was that a nice unit. Pulled hard for 120k and no shaft rock or anything!! But SAAB has there Turbo lubrication in good order. Some of the new ones even run a oil pump after engine shut down to cool and keep the turbo bearing lubed during spool down after the engine is shut off!(breakn)

People always buy cars for their needs, and i believe everyone else is just like me, buying a mazda5 to fit my family of 4, not for speed.

Surprise!... not everyone else is just like you. Some of us would enjoy a little more passing power, and appreciate the handling of the 5. There are plenty of minivans if all you're looking for is cargo space for kids plus their stuff.

Gee, you must be a lot of fun at parties too.(gtfo)

I had a Beretta (a what?) that I turbocharged myself. It ran 13.4's @ 105 MPH in the 1/4. It was fun, but not what I want to think about in a family car.

I spent about $2000 using used parts. The 5 would be relatively easy to turbocharge if the aftermarket ECM stuff is there and you don't have to pass emissions.

A aftermarket ECM for a turbo 2.3 four should work for a Mazda3 set-up, etc?

I think the ign systems are different in the turbo models. I think KILLER3 is his name thats using a Haltech E6X at like 450whp but for lower boost the F10x would be fine and I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives.

I looked into Haltech units years ago and ended up finding a used Electromotive unit that had only been used on a dyno. Worked fine for what I was doing.

I don't know enough about the current ECM systems to recommend anything. Both of these companies made top notch systems 10 years ago. One thing I noticed is that it is much more affordable to find a wideband exhaust sensor sytem now, which was a major setback 10 years ago.

For mild boost systems (less than 15 PSI) an piggy back system is probably fine. For 8 PSI and less on stock internals you might get away with a fuel pressure regulator and a piggyback on the fuel system. I'd watch for knock on the ignition retard.

I deal with an 80 PSI alcohol fueled tractor at work.... ;) Hilborn mechanical system.

People always buy cars for their needs, and i believe everyone else is just like me, buying a mazda5 to fit my family of 4, not for speed.

I'm single with no kids. I needed a vehicle with a manual that offered me utility while being fun to drive. The ability to 'hot rod' it was important as well.

So yes, I'm just like you in that I bought the car for my needs. But my needs are not at all like yours.

So stay to the right and don't let your 4 kids distract you and you'll keep us all safe.

I'm single with no kids. I needed a vehicle with a manual that offered me utility while being fun to drive. The ability to 'hot rod' it was important as well.

So yes, I'm just like you in that I bought the car for my needs. But my needs are not at all like yours.

So stay to the right and don't let your 4 kids distract you and you'll keep us all safe.

Well, I am a parent of two kids who happens to appreciate a good all-around performing car (especially handling and braking) and likes to carry my other toys (bikes and skis) inside rather than on a roof rack. So, my manual tranny Mazda5 is the best (and only) vehicle combining all of the attributes I am looking for.

As for the comment about how someone else should drive, some of us enjoy driving, appreciate a car that is fun to drive and rather not drive an appliance. To each his own, we are all different. If Mazda offered a Mazdaspeed5, I would have a perfect car in my garage.

One more thing, HotRodSaint, you have one of, if not the, slickest, coolest car on the sight.

Last edited:
Well, I guess my wife and I can fall into the "crazy" category. When the first kid was on the way, we bought a turbo Volvo wagon. By the time the second kid came around we had $2.5k worth of suspension and 14 pounds of boost running through it. It was very quick and was a lot of fun to drive. When it came time for another car, Dodge decided to make a 425hp Magnum SRT8 wagon. Insane? Yes, we had to have it and yes we modded it to make it even faster. My wife's daily driver with two kid's seat strapped in really tight! I sold my F150 when gas prices started to spike and had planned on buying something more economical, but still very quick so I was dead set on the MS3 since it was fast, affordable and practical. That's when the wife decided she had to have 3rd row seating and we ended up in the 5 because it drove better than regular minivans. I personally call the 5 a VanWagon (a wagon with sliding doors). She'll drive it and I'll have to suffer in the Magnum, but I already have visions of dropping an MS3 engine in the thing- that's just how we are. Call it an illness, but speed is an addiction- regardless of whether the freak'n doors slide on the thing or not!

I would to put a rotrex supercharger on our 5. that is where its at on the street for daily driving.

Back