Mazda 5 TPMS Auto-Resets

kueifan

A year ago I had to get a TPMS sensor replaced because the valve stem snapped. When the tire shop replaced it, the tech who was resetting the system looked really confused and in the end said to just drive the car for 10 minutes and the light should go off. So I got to thinking that the TPMS re-programming was bogus and the system resets itself.

Recently I had another snapped valve (different wheel), this time, I had a friend who was able to replace the sensor for me. But re-programming it would be a problem, when I called the shop to ask how much reprogramming would cost, they said $60. But after driving with the new sensor for about 15 minutes, the light went off.

Seems like the system does reset itself.

Agreed; when i switch rims on my MS3 between summer and winter, I never perform any sort of a reset and the car recognizes the new TPMS.

If you look at the manual, you turn the key to acc then off, wait 15 mins then drive the car above a certain speed for a certain distance.

The system does auto learn so the $60 to reprogram is a bunch of crap.

Some car yes, you have to through a process of getting each sensor to send the signal in a certain order. The Mazda system is pretty friendly. The Honda and Lexus require a programmer through the the OBD II port so I'm glad our cars is not like that.

RX-8 rims swap

Don't mean to thread jack but I'm looking to swap RX-8 rims with my stock M5 OE's. I'm guessing the TPMS on my stock OE's can be placed on the RX-8's with no problems, ya?

Doesn't the Honda tell you which tire is low? This is one case where I prefer Mazda's system of a single light for all four tires because the programming is so much easier.

Doesn't the Honda tell you which tire is low? This is one case where I prefer Mazda's system of a single light for all four tires because the programming is so much easier.
And you DON'T like this? You rather have a dummy gauge than a system that actually tells you something more meaningful? If I have to have a TPMS system (I rather not have one if given a choice) I would only want the system that show the exact tire pressure per tire.

Honda's are the same as the standard was implement in 2007 for all passenger vehicles except duallys with GVWR ≤10,000 lbs.

Don't mean to thread jack but I'm looking to swap RX-8 rims with my stock M5 OE's. I'm guessing the TPMS on my stock OE's can be placed on the RX-8's with no problems, ya?

Yes. The sensors should be able to be swapped. You will need to get maintenance kits for each wheel that the sensors get swapped. Basically it has new rubber seals, caps and valve cores. Aprox $8-$12 for each kit x4. (Cash grab!!!)

Back