mazda 5 ,07 automatic transmision

churrosurf

:
protege 5
my shifter is stuck, can go from park to reverse, dealer says shifter is broken, 750$, happens to somebody?

More info perhaps?

Can or Can't go from Parking to Reverse or any other gear? Or just from "P" to "R" and nothing else?

Do the brake lights work OK?

I've read somewhere that sometimes the brake switch can cause some weird stuff on ATs, including some if the symptoms above. It looks scary but it is just a simple faulty switch...

More info perhaps?

Can or Can't go from Parking to Reverse or any other gear? Or just from "P" to "R" and nothing else?

Do the brake lights work OK?

I've read somewhere that sometimes the brake switch can cause some weird stuff on ATs, including some if the symptoms above. It looks scary but it is just a simple faulty switch...

I agree on the need for more info. If the key is not in the ignition, the shifter won't move either. Some kind of solenoid in the shifter area that locks and unlocks the shifter mechanically. No idea if this is related to your issue though.

Sorry I was in a hurry at the time I wrote this, this is what's happenning. when you try to move the shifter from parking to reverse and of course with the engine running, sometimes go and sometimes won't, I have to take the little cover and use a screw driver to push the thing and move the the shifter to reverse, went to the dealer and they said is the shifter assembly and cost 750$, The lights are ok, I know can be the brake switch that make the lock move and let the shifter go from P to other position, but I'm not really shure, any advice? thanks!!

I can't find the old thread on this. But someone had similar problem before. I don't remember how he fixed it..

If you have downloaded the manual.. it is in the TG_05 section (Technical Guide). Somewhere in.. Page 05-18-5

==============
SHIFT-LOCK SYSTEM OPERATION
DPE051830000T03

I. Shift-lock Release Condition

• The shift-lock is released when the selector lever is
in the P position, the ignition switch is in ACC position or
ON position and the brake pedal is depressed.

II.Shift-lock Condition (When the shift-lock conditions are not satisfied)

• If the shift-lock conditions are not satisfied, electrical
current does not flow to the shift-lock solenoid. The lock
slider therefore mechanically restricts the movement of the
selector lever, preventing shifting out of Park..
Shift-lock Release Condition (when the shift-lock
conditions are satisfied)

• If the shift-lock conditions are satisfied, electrical
current flows to the shift-lock solenoid. The slider therefore
moves toward the shift-lock solenoid and the lock slider moves
to a position in which it does not restrict
=======================

cut and pasted from the manual.:

http://www.msprotege.com/members/skyhawk/shiftlock/keyinterlock1.JPG

http://www.msprotege.com/members/skyhawk/shiftlock/shiftlock2.JPG

http://www.msprotege.com/members/skyhawk/shiftlock/shiftlock3.JPG

The illustration is not that clear.. but there is a solenoid that turns on or off
and causes the mechanism to allow/disallow movement of the shift lever.

I think the best way is to see the mechanism in action. Like
what happens when your press/release the brake. Does the
solenoid move? who knows it may just need some silicon grease
in there. It does mention the word 'slider'..

Last edited:
My wife started complaining of the same issue where the gear would not go into reverse. It seemed to be an intermittent issue. When I first tried going through the gears, I was able to move to reverse with no problems. A couple more tries and locks in park. I had to use the override release. If this is a faulty solenoid, shouldn't be it covered under warranty?

Well if your car still on warranty ,yes is cover, my factory warranty is already expired in january 6, but I have the extended warranty and they gonna pay for it, is a 750$ part, all I have to pay is 50$ deductible.

Its NOT a steering wheel lock problem? Just asking since even with the engine running, if the wheel is locked, there is no moving the shifter.

no, it's not a steering problem, with the car running and steering unlocked, can't move the shifter from park to any other position, it moves just a little to the right but don't go down to R,N or D, it's going to the dealer next week again

We have experienced the exact same problem with our 2007 Mazda5. With the engine on, the shifter will not move out of P. This is an intermittent problem. Did you ever resolve your problem?

Little cover above the P. Pop that off and insert a screwdriver.
If you need to use the override because you can't get the car out of park, it's either due to a faulty shifter, brake switch or shifter release solenoid.

Last edited:
Just had the issue with the Mazda5 AT not wanting to shift out of park. Picked up the brake light switch for $24.01 w/tax at the dealer. I installed it and it seems to have fixed the problem. This happened on my 2007 Mazda5 with just shy of 40,000 miles.

Little cover above the P. Pop that off and insert a screwdriver.
If you need to use the override because you can't get the car out of park, it's either due to a faulty shifter, brake switch or shifter release solenoid.
I found it! Worked like a charm and went right into Reverse. Thank you Mazda 247! Now to check the brake lights and the brake switch.

Mine (06) had the brake light switch go bad and it did the exact same thing yours did. Lots of people had the same problem with their 5.

Would someone please elaborate on this brake light switch? I want to understand in case this happens to me. Is it just a switch on the brake pedal that turns the light on, or what?

I think the switch itself is on the master cylinder (it was on my Miata anyway, that one died because I switched to silicone fluid and the switch wasn't compatible with it. Different car, I know and it was a few years ago though...) Anyway we had the same problem (shifter wouldn't go out of park, car would only start with the remote start button, etc) when we took it in for service the dealer said a lot of the systems are tied to the brake light switch for turning them off, so if the switch goes bad, it takes out other systems.

Back