Mazda 3 suspension noise

jbaib

Hello all. I am new to this forum. I own a 05 Mazda 3 which has developed a particularly annoying issue. There is a crunching type sound (best as I can describe) that comes from, I beleive, the right front suspension when it compresses. This only seems to happen in cold weather. When it is warm out, the suspension is quiet and makes no unusual noises. I have searched this forum and others and there seems to be a myriad of potential causes. Is this a common issue that is typically caused by a specific part? This car has been great overall, but this item is getting annoying. Thanks everyone.

I'm sure I've posted elsewhere that mine also exhibits this problem, but I'll post here just for the sake of completeness.

Last winter I took my 3 in to have this looked at and they said it was the front sway bar bushings and replaced them. 2 weeks later it was back, but it got better once it warmed up. Now it's doing it again and the average daily temp is ~58F. Getting it looked at again today to see what's really happening.

Mine's an '08.5, so it's not covered by the TSB that YearOfTherat linked. Maybe they'll come out with another one... (dunno)

There is a crunching type sound (best as I can describe) that comes from, I beleive, the right front suspension when it compresses. This only seems to happen in cold weather.

Hey, I'm pretty new to this too so I could be wrong, but I wanted to throw out another possibility of what the problem could be. I have the same car same year, and for the longest time I had a similar noise come up with my rear suspension.

I also took my car to a mechanic who could not figure out what the noise was, but told me it definitely wasn't suspension. Turns out that my tires were rubbing against the inside lip of my rear fenders, where they bend and go into the wheel well. I didn't see it until one day when I was detailing my car.

I have 18's with the widest tires $ can buy, which was causing the rubbing on the inside of the fender, so that may not be the issue your having. But from what you're describing it sounds like the same problem; more prevelant in cold weather, weird noises from the "suspension," etc.

Anyways, hope this helped!

Last edited:
The front right (passenger side) motor mount has a tendency to get a little weak over time. I found that to be causing my noise in the front.

See if the noise comes when you are at a dead stop, turn the wheel hard and give it gas... especially if you are on a hill.

I'm having the same problem. I have a 2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2.3 L. There's a crunching/rattling sound coming from the passenger side tire area. I've had my mechanic look at it and say it was the axle. We changed the passenger side axle and...nothing, the noise was still there. I'll post the video of the noise when I get out of school today. You said the problem was the motor mount? Did you change it? Did the noise go away if you did? Thanks.

The front right (passenger side) motor mount has a tendency to get a little weak over time. I found that to be causing my noise in the front.

See if the noise comes when you are at a dead stop, turn the wheel hard and give it gas... especially if you are on a hill.
mine has the same issue and does it just like this...
that mean its the motor mount.....Ive been wondering if I had one going so this wouldnt suprise me

Back