Mazda 3 CD changer upgrade

Jayray22

Hello guys I'm new to this forum world so bare with me. I just recently purchased a used 2005 Mazda 3 S. It has the 6 CD changer face plate, but only plays one disc. I've been looking online at radom sites as well as Mazda site to price the upgrade but as you know it can run up to 700 just for the upgrade. Does anyone know any other solutions to accomplish this upgrade without putting a dent in my already bruised pockets? lol

Thanks alot
James

I bought one on ebay for <$40 shipped IIRC. Faceplates and displays easily interchange.
-enganear

If you get an 06 or 07, you can enable the trip computer.....
-enganear

6 CD changer

You brought a CD Changer off of Ebay or brought the face plate cover? I'm slightly confused.

Jayray

from the dealer the 6CD HU costs about $450... don't know where $700 came from. You can usually find them rather cheaply either on ebay or in cruising the buy/sell sections on the different forums.

enganear said:
If you get an 06 or 07, you can enable the trip computer.....

It doesn't work that way. First off the wiring harness for the HU LCD was made separate in '06 so you can't stick a '06 HU into a '05 or older model.... at least not and have the LCD work. Second the computer has to tell the HU what info. to display for the DIS and the pre-'06 models don't do that.

You brought a CD Changer off of Ebay or brought the face plate cover? I'm slightly confused.

Jayray

I bought a 6 CD changer radio with faceplate from a wrecked MZ3. The faceplate was hella scratched and the wrong color, so I swapped out my original MS3 non-changer faceplate and display module with no issues.
-enganear

from the dealer the 6CD HU costs about $450... don't know where $700 came from. You can usually find them rather cheaply either on ebay or in cruising the buy/sell sections on the different forums.

It doesn't work that way. First off the wiring harness for the HU LCD was made separate in '06 so you can't stick a '06 HU into a '05 or older model.... at least not and have the LCD work. Second the computer has to tell the HU what info. to display for the DIS and the pre-'06 models don't do that.

You are absolutely correct. I missed the 2005 reference in the original post.
-enganear

I wanna thank everyone for thier help. I really appreciate. I do have one mor e question. Being that I'm gonna be looking around on other forums and Ebay. Should I only be looking at OEMs that are made for the year of 2004 and 2005 for my car? I mean the car hasn't changed much since it release and the 06 and 07 look almost eaxctly like my year.

08 CD upgrade

I just bought a 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback from Carmax in Raleigh, NC. The ticket on the car stated that it had the front cd changer and the touring package. However after trying to load a second disk I have come to the conclusion that it does not have the 6 CD changer. The little plastic piece to the right of the load button is blank. The manual shows this to have some text on it if it has the changer. Would the dealer have available a kit to upgrade this to a 6 CD changer? If so how much would it cost them?

See my newbie post for this forum to lean more about my unusual experiences with a car.

Good news Carmax came through

In one hour Carmax changed out my non-changer radio for a 6 disk changer that also takes MP3s. The reason for this was that the sticker said it had one when it did not. I tested it out yesterday on a round trip to Charlotte from Raleigh to apply for Hell's Kitchen. Don't get a call back but so what! I'll send in the application by mail for another shot. I was in the last group of hopefuls and the poor interviewer was exhausted. Besides I didn't want to drive all-the-way back there again this weekend and face the Lowes Speedway traffic.

(five-0)

How do you implement trip computer

How is trip computer implemented in a 2007 radio with 6 disk changer and MP3?

How is trip computer implemented in a 2007 radio with 6 disk changer and MP3?

To activate the Trip computer:
-Insert key in ignition, close driver's door
-push and hold the "AM/FM", and "CD" buttons
-Turn key to ON (while keeping buttons depressed)
-Wait several seconds until "DIS ON" is displayed on the LCD then release the HU buttons.
-Turn ignition off, then start car. Confirm DIS operates. If it doesn't some people say disconnecting the battery will make it work (after it's unlocked)

This works on:
-All '06-'07 HU's
-All 6CD '08 HU's
-No '08.5-'09 HU's

So basically it will depend on what year your car is, and what year HU they installed in it. You say your HU plays Mp3 CD's, so that means you either have the 6CD/Mp3 HU (an optional accessory for those years), or you have a '08.5+ model where the Mp3 function came standard. As long as you don't have a build date of after 01/2008 then the above method should work for you.

or the OP can buy Grom Audio for his car so he can play his ipod in his car... to thats a better alternative than a 6 disc changer... just my 0.2 cents.

Back