Mazda 2 or Vitz (Japan Import)

DavidMalta

:
Nissan Micra 1995 1.0
Hello everyone hope everyone is fine :). I am new here on this site.

I need a little help here since I am looking for a new car.

I am looking to buy another car and got interested in imported second hand Japanese cars. We get the Fit, Swift, Demio and Vitz. MY favorites are the Demio (2nd generation facelift) and the Vitz (2nd generation facelift also). However, I am still undecided for the fact they both great cars.

Is the anyone who drove or owned a Mazda Demio or a Vitz before? Bdw, I am interested in the 1.3 engine for both vitz and demio. Is the economy of both cars the same or the vitz 1.3 is more economical? Edit: They both come with the auto cvt box. Any reliability issues for the 2?

What is your opinion please? Thanks :)

Last edited:
If you can, drive both. I think you'll find the 2 much more engaging and enjoyable to drive.

I would say the Vitz/Yaris is more economical.

A properly maintained 2 is extremely reliable.

Mike

If you can, drive both. I think you'll find the 2 much more engaging and enjoyable to drive.

I would say the Vitz/Yaris is more economical.

A properly maintained 2 is extremely reliable.

Mike

Thanks :). Hope to see more comments and suggestions :). How do you find the Mazda 2?

I must admit if it were me, the Third Gen (DE) Mazda's are the better cars!

If I were in the market for a Yaris, it would have to be a near perfect example of a 1st Gen! Don't like the styling on any of the newer generations.

I have owned a 1st generation Yaris T-sport 1.5, the engines in these, and on the 3rd generation Mazda 2 sport are very similar.

The 1.3's are very good on both cars, even including the newer generations, but if you want a more involving drive the 2 is defo the car for you. The Yaris has serious body roll issues, especially in the 2nd generation models, due to their added weight!

Reliability isn't an issue with either car.

Regards
Tim

I must admit if it were me, the Third Gen (DE) Mazda's are the better cars!

If I were in the market for a Yaris, it would have to be a near perfect example of a 1st Gen! Don't like the styling on any of the newer generations.

I have owned a 1st generation Yaris T-sport 1.5, the engines in these, and on the 3rd generation Mazda 2 sport are very similar.

The 1.3's are very good on both cars, even including the newer generations, but if you want a more involving drive the 2 is defo the car for you. The Yaris has serious body roll issues, especially in the 2nd generation models, due to their added weight!

Reliability isn't an issue with either car.

Regards
Tim

Thanks Tim. The 3rd generation Mazda 2 has not arrived as a 2nd hand from Japan yet. It may be another four years till they come. I drove my gf's 1.0 vitz. Damn slow to accelerate but great drive. The Mazda has a better drive. I also looked at the Honda Fit 1.3 auto. That one is very spacious.

The Fit is a great car. But, just like the Yaris, it lacks the driver connection.

Mike

Hi, i own a 2007 demio that i bought at 130K km, and it drives great.
Even though its an automatic (mines not a cvt) and lacks power, it actually pulls pretty good.
Suspension is a little stiff. My mpg is a little low, avg. 30mpg city driving, but that might vary depending on the cars condition/years.

Hi, i own a 2007 demio that i bought at 130K km, and it drives great.
Even though its an automatic (mines not a cvt) and lacks power, it actually pulls pretty good.
Suspension is a little stiff. My mpg is a little low, avg. 30mpg city driving, but that might vary depending on the cars condition/years.

Thanks dmoed for your input. I am just worried about the fuel efficiency of the Mazda Demio. Most of the imported cars from Japan come with the CVT auto box. most efficient cars are the Vitz and the Fit. I really don't like the shape of the new 3rd gen vitz. The facelft honda fit also looks horrible but these two are the most economic despite their ugliness (in my opinion). I am still visiting different dealerships in Malta, searching for the best price, condition etc.

The Demio is mostly priced like this. From 2008-2011 Pre-facelift range from 6600 euros to 7100 euros, the facelift from 2011-2014 start from 7200 up to 8400 euros.

What do you think?

Back