Massachusetts introduces bill to ban modified exhausts

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
flowmaster-mass.jpg

MODIFIED EXHAUST SYSTEM BAN TO BE CONSIDERED IN MASSACHUSETTS

After being stalled by SEMA for the last several years, a bill to ban the sale or installation of "an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust" was reintroduced and has been scheduled for an October hearing in the Massachusetts Legislature.

The measure does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation.

For additional information, see www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62241

I think the approach is all wrong. If they wanted to pass something like this they should it on a decibel rating of the vehicle at redline by placing a microphone at the exhaust pipe. Run tests of stock vehicles (including motorcyles) as well as some aftermarket products to create a database of what is acceptable and what is not. Then arm certified mass inspection sites with calibrated decibel meters as well as the police. If your car or motorcyle is too loud it won't pass inspection and if a police officer pulls you over for this you can't get a ticket until he proves your car is beyond the legal limit.

A law like that is fair, it affects all vehicles, stock and modified, and addresses the real issue, noise polution, with a finite measurable limit for what is acceptable.

The way it stands now it only affects "cars" with "modified" exhausts. It doesn't include motorcyles and it basically makes an exemption for any car that has a factory exhaust louder than yours. The Neon SRT-4 and WRX STI come to mind as having abnormally loud exhuasts.

Ct has a "Subjective" law like that, with no exception for antiques. I was ticketed for loud pipes a few years ago in my Corvette. It's a 74, so it has no cats. I was running stock manifolds at the time (now headers), into a true dual 2.5" Walker chamber system, the same system as the 63-67 Vettes had as an option, but these chambers aren't as long and are mounted under the car. This exhaust quite subdued at idle and taking it easy around town, but is very loud when under hard acceleration. Loud like NASCAR, & that's no joke.

So, I take my car and the ticket to an (unnamed) national muffler shop where they are an authorized state inspection facility, and have them inspect it. Manager takes the keys, starts it and revs it up. Then he idles it in and up on the lift it goes. Every mechanic in the place comes over. Manager says: "Looks to me like this is a dual system with no leaks, (taps on the chambers) these look like some sort of sound supressing device, probably containing some sort of sound deadening material, mufflers. Looks ok to me." I ask if he thinks it's too loud, he says: "I don't think it is, any of you guys think so?" One by one all the techs say "Nope.". I ask if there's a decible rating as a standard, he says "No, just excessively loud". "If this were my Vette, I'd want it to sound just like this". he says. He didn't have a problem negating that ticket at all, and I sent it in like that, paying no fine.

So "subjective" goes both ways. Thing is, it would be very costly to require all the PD's to carry decible meters around and start testing exhausts, so they let it go as a judgement call. This is where SEMA knows they can stop them, bacause it will be defeated if standards requiring equipment are mandated. Voters hate taxes more than the noise, and will still think it's an effective law without standards. For most, it will cause guys to change their exhaust or pay the fine. It's really the best way to oppose it, an that alone might cause it to fail in the legislature.

I carry my inspection report from the muffler shop in my car all the time, just in case one of these yahoo cops wants to get subjective about it again. If you insist on standards, you're all done. That'll make it so that there's a comparison, the allowed level will be so tight that you wo't be able to change a downpipe without going over, and the system will cost so much that the fines will be just enormous.

If this is the way they want to write the law (without level standards), let 'em! It's really in the car guy's best interest, and makes the bill harder to enforce. All you need is someone authorized as an inspector as subjective as the cop who writes you to completely negate the ticket. With standards, you'll need a lawyer to get you out of the fine.

Sorry for the long post, no short way to tell that one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. The loophole they have found for car audio equipment in some states is a distance at which you can hear the system. usually they pick like 50 or 100 feet. You can hear a car drive by from 50 feet so why wouldn't you be able to hear a stereo system? s***, you can hear a stock system from 50 feet if the windows are open. However once they write the ticket there is really no way to get out of it. I honestly don't know how a law like that would get passed but it sucks for the people who enjoy listening to music.

Some ppl with a louder exhaust, and some ppl with loud stereos tend to ruin the fun for themselves and all others. It's respect thing, 100%.

I live in a house that's like 30ft from the street, and the whole neighborhood is like that. So when some asshat on a Harley has to come blasting down the road at 2:00 am and shock me out of a sound sleep, or in the very same way, some other one in a car comes thumping his bigass woofer (windows open or closed, heard starting 3 blocks away), and do the same thing, when laws are passed to fight it, they have to realize they've shot themselves in the foot. Thing is, they think they're funny. Yeah, ha-ha-ha. Makes me wanna cut their valve stems off.

As I stated, I have loud pipes on my Vette, but I try to be respective of the neighborhoods I travel through. I can make it quiet if I want to, it's called a throttle. You gotta respect, or the fun goes away. To me, the ones that abuse the louder equipment are the ones who deserve the ticket, not all of us. ( = Got a gun? That's fine. Use it wrong, go to jail.) Odd thing is, banning all of them is the perception of fairness, cause it's only the abusers that ppl hear.

...but unfortunately when you put the law in the hands of enforcers they don't go after just the people that deserve it. They go after who ever they feel like.

It's kind of like cops that write tickets to people for not having a front license plate. They won't mess around with the 50 yr old in a corvette or the soccer mom with a completely faded and illegible green plate...but they'll pull over a tricked out Mazda in a heart-beat. (I've been lucky lately though...haven't been pulled over in new car yet)

It's called 'Heat Score'.

It's the reason not to put a huge ricer wing or kit on your car. If you try to get too much attention, you'll get it, from people and police.

Keep it subtle and low profile, and you'll be fine, Mazda or not.

Hell, it's already subjective down here in VA. Got a ticket for "improper exhaust - non-OEM" back in July as well as an illegal tint ticket but I won't go into that. Now, I understood that technically I did indeed break the law but here's my case: I was driving on the highway at 11 PM going 60 in a 55. There were no other cars around and the only thing around me was farmland - no houses, neighborhoods etc. What harm was I causing?! Honestly, who cares how loud my car is if I'm not hurting anyone? Also, I know damn well my car, even with the full CS exhaust, is not as loud as stock Harley's and other motorcycles...

Bah...!

I agree that eventually, it's going to happen everywhere. In places like MD and VA, they have sooo many laws concerning every part of the vehicluar experience that I am sure they can sneak another one in there.

I agree that keeping the sound levels under control is the right way to go but really, I think that some poeple won't be happy no-matter-what. They don't want to hear your vehicle AT ALL. I have known people like this and they live in NYC! Uhm...yeah..and they had big ears. (hear ya)

Why don't we just go electric? That will solve all noise ordinances. There will be no exhaust to worry about and people will think twice about installing 200lb subwoofer boxes that consume copious amounts of electricity. I'd buy one if it had a 250 mile range....unfortunately George Bush and the oil industry doesn't want you to own an electric car. They'd rather blind side us with the promise of a "fuel cell" car.

"The measure does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments..."

Big problems ensue, followed by discrimination lawsuits.

But I have to say that if there are any problem vehicles in the area where I live, it's far more often a motorcycle...including my next door neighbor who arrives home from his bartending job promptly at 2:30am. I can tell he does make an effort to keep RPMs to a minimum as he pulls in, but the muffler on that bike is just loud, period.

As far as the local ricers with Civics / Neons with fart cans on them, I actually do hope they crack down. I get pretty tired of hearing cars roar by that sound more like crop-dusting planes than they do cars. Loose exausts like that add a minimum amount of performance to otherwise stock cars compared to the amount of noise they add to neighborhoods.

Regarding stock exausts on SRT-4s and STis, I believe these are federally regulated and I don't think individual states can override what federal law finds to be acceptable levels of drive-by noise on vehicles that are factory stock. This is going to cause a HUGE legal issue for the state when a car that is QUIETER than an STi is tagged for a loud exaust, if the owner does his homework. If you force a modified car to comply when his car is actually quieter than a stock vehicle, you open yourself up to descrimination charges...so you'd have to tag everyone, stock or not. That would cause a huge manufacturing problem with just about every carmaker. New Vettes aren't exactly quiet in their stock form, and I can't see a particular state having juristiction to force the owner of a brand new car to modify his exaust. They're gonna have to find a better law to propose.

Last edited:
They can however ban the sale of said car in the state. That would lead to two outcomes: Corvette owners march up the stairs of city hall in protest or car companies squash the law before it ever takes effect.

Why don't we just go electric? That will solve all noise ordinances. There will be no exhaust to worry about and people will think twice about installing 200lb subwoofer boxes that consume copious amounts of electricity. I'd buy one if it had a 250 mile range....unfortunately George Bush and the oil industry doesn't want you to own an electric car. They'd rather blind side us with the promise of a "fuel cell" car.
threadjack

This is completely unrelated but I was talking to my g/f last night and apparently large amounts of blind people are complaining about hybrids and other partial and "zero" emissions vehicles. The reason, get this - they're too quiet and they can't hear them coming. I thought that was funny because who would have guessed people would have complained about hybrids...

/threadjack

That's an argument the oil companies want you to hear. What about freakin bicyclists? Should we ban riding your bike to work because of the blind people? Whatever man.

That's an argument the oil companies want you to hear. What about freakin bicyclists? Should we ban riding your bike to work because of the blind people? Whatever man.
Haha, I wasn't agreeing - I just thought it was funny. Even so, my car is loud and I'm probably not going to be changing that for a while. I've even had a few cops say some nice things about how much car looks and even sounds. It's just those ones with a giant stick wedged up you-know-where that I have to look out for.

Minnesota already has speeding and noise level Nazis, big time. If the noise issue gets outa hand, states will start banning louder factory exhausts, which will make the automakers drop the noise levels. It would only take one state with decible limits. It happened in 67 when they banned the factory chambered systems. After 72, Chevy stopped offering sidepipes on Vettes. They were glasspacks, banned a few years after they were introduced (as an alternative to the chambers, lol). (no cats on Vettes till 75)
In a lot of ways, the performance boom we're seeing now is like the muscle car era. Relatively inexpensive cars get faster & more outrageous from the factory, modifying, street racing and cruising picks up, cops, municipalities, insurance companies then finally the feds clamp down, and cars go to sh!t.
I know lots of guys want loud pipes, hell, IMO they sound good. But I guess we hobbyists and the aftermarket should really use a little prudence. In the end we're loading the gun with which to shoot ourselves in the foot.

I agree that we are in a second wave of "muscle car madness". Cars today on average get worse gas mileage than they did back in the 70s and gas is more expensive. I'm not sure what it will take to get people (and the industry) to snap out of it.

Back