manual transmission fluid

BoostedAWD

:
03 Protege5
Im planning on changing my trans fluid on my 03 p5 tomorrow because god knows when the last time it was changed. I read that I need 75w90 in GL4 because gl5 will where down my syncros. I looked at a few stores today and anything in that weight was either gl5 only or gl4 and gl5 both. Would the one that covers both be ok for the trans? I am going to stop at a few other places tomorrow and check for gl4 only again but was wondering just in case I cant find anything

My owners manual states 75W-90 GL4 or GL5 for any temp, and 80W-90 GL4/5 for 50*F and up.

I used Supertech 75W-90 semi-synthetic last time, just because it's only 5 bucks a quart and relatively easy to find. I see a lot of posts recommending Redline MT90 or Royal Purple, but those aren't available locally without paying out the nose.

My transmission shifts fine with the ST fluid.

If you have trouble shifting in the cold weather, you can go with synchro-mesh oil.

(I made my own,... ATF Type-F + 1 Liter Lucas Oil,... I love it,... I used to grind every gear for 15 min. in the cold. It always shifts now,... It's been in for two years now with no problems. (but I don't slam gears). (ATF Type-F was recommended for my 1983 Mazda GLC for cold weather))

Back