2017~2024 Make sure luggage and cargo is secured before driving

:
Mazda CX-5 GT 2017
How is that accomplished? Its straight out of the manual.

I usually just throw my backpacks and gear into the back and go. The four anchor points in the back seem like they would not be much help securing 50 lbs of gear since they only support 20 kilograms of force. I might be wrong but it seems to me that 50lbs would generate alot more than 20 kgf in say a 30 mph impact?

I use the 4 anchor points for a cargo net. The force generated by 50lb of gear is spread across the 4 anchor points. Keep in mind that if the cargo net is securing the gear, the net will stretch as force is applied, and as it is stretching, the load is decelerating and the force is lowered. Even if the gear generates enough force for the anchor points to fail, that force has been reduced greatly. A little seems to go a long way.

I use the 4 anchor points for a cargo net. The force generated by 50lb of gear is spread across the 4 anchor points. Keep in mind that if the cargo net is securing the gear, the net will stretch as force is applied, and as it is stretching, the load is decelerating and the force is lowered.

Fair enough. I too have a OEM cargo net but would be hard pressed to get 2 65L packs under it unless there is some adjustment on the net I am missing. Could always try and rig up something with paracord.

Actually I did some more research on the genuine mazda cargo net. The instructions specify that the cargo net should not be used to secure loads of more than 30 lbs "WARNING: OBJECT(S) RESTRAINED NOT TO EXCEED 30 lbs. (13.6 kg)"

So I guess Im back to the question of how you would per owners manual instructions secure 50 lbs of backpacking equipment in the rear storage area short of "fencing" it off.

I have something like this:

d94d5b82-a4b3-4b33-93f6-b2c8bf33cab7_1.405c1e03952294aecb0cb8fe98d20977.jpeg

To me, the benefit is that the straps hook on to the headrests, so keeps the cargo flat against the back of the seat (assuming the seatbacks are up.)

The goal is to stop the stuff from hitting you in the back of the head in a hard stop. Keeping the stuff flush up against the back of the seat accomplishes that. It doesn't have to be tied down tight, it just has to be blocked from forward thrust.

These are less than $10 and take up no room when wadded up, so if you need to double or triple up to ensure sufficient strength for your load, it won't break the bank.

If your load is too large for these, then push it up against the seatbacks and use a strap through the forward tie-down hooks to keep it there.

Roll-overs are a separate issue ;)

Last edited:
I keep a pair of bungee straps in the little compartments under the the floor mat at the rear corners. I run them in an X pattern from the tie down loops over the objects to be secured. They seem to do the trick for things like backpacks or a carry-on luggage sized bag.

Back