Magnet Bra

:
2008 Mazda5 GT
Anyone tried one of these on the other gal ;)? It is almost impossible to get a bug shield in the US for <10 (readily available for +12) and I absolutely need something urgently. I95 is a dirty, dirty highway and will totally trash your hood (Phila to DC) I need a plan B. I thought about a clear bra but they cost too much or even plasti-dipping the front end but not sure about the durability of pebble strikes. Im left with a full front end bra or this magnet bra. Ive use a full front end bra once, never again. Ive read the magnet bra seems to work well. Anyone here tried one? I ordered it anyway. I absolutely need something aside from a repaint. There's still the issue of the upper end of the hood. Can anyone think of any other alternatives?

http://www.magnetbra.com/order_a_bra.php#Mazda
Picture under Mazda 5.

If I were to try to kiss you, people would start talking! That is an awesome find, I never would have thought to look under that name! I think I may get one in white and have it painted to match my car, as that much black on the hood would look a little funny to me...

If either of you are interested I've got a very slightly used complete OEM nose mask for sale. $40 plus the shipping cost. It's for a 06-07 for sure but I'm sure the hood part will fit 06-10

I've read good and bad about the MagnetBra. Some people swear by it, others swear it sucks. For $50, it's hard to argue with. That said, my plan is to plastidip the front end of my 5 (maybe tomorrow if I can find the time...).

Mine is still too pretty to go that route. Given another year or so, it may be time to go there. The stone chips on the leading edge of my hood cause me to cry like Nancy Kerrigan when I wash her though....

How is the magnet bra working out for you? The front of my hood looks terrible with all the stone chips and was thinking about getting the whole hood repainted. This seems like a better (and cheper) option.

It works GREAT at preventing chips, can cover up the ugly chips, and makes the car look more aggressive!

Luckily I document my service history in my profile :). I left the MB on for 10K (11 months) to see how well it can endure and type of maintenance it needed. A lot of dirty still gets under the top edge and some dirty build up on the leading edge. BUUT, since this is a magnetic sheet, unlike traditional bra, it does not chafe the paint!! woot woot! Now, it does leave some mark on the top coat but the dirty hosed right off and a little top coat wax will bring it up to snuff. I whole hearty highly recommend if you endure a lot of HWY chips or need a cheap cover but does need cleaning once in a while. My one complain is that it is not tall enough. Our front end has a very high rake and the MB is not tall enough but then it might look goofy. This is design issue with the car, not the MB.

Great, thanks for the reply. I've been reading reviews on it on other car forums and some people love it and some people hate it. I've also read the owner of the company isn't very friendly if you try to return it or give it a bad review. Anyway, I think I'll give it a shot. For $50 I think I can take the risk. Although I came across this forum post that has me a little worried:
http://www.club323f.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39741

Great, thanks for the reply. I've been reading reviews on it on other car forums and some people love it and some people hate it. I've also read the owner of the company isn't very friendly if you try to return it or give it a bad review. Anyway, I think I'll give it a shot. For $50 I think I can take the risk. Although I came across this forum post that has me a little worried:
http://www.club323f.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39741
^^ 1000% user error yet blaming the product for his own idiocy. The guy didn't let his wax dry/cure and put the MB on soon after. Coming from someone had it on for almost a year straight (harsh winter/salty too) nothing like that happened to me. Also for an old Protege, that paint work looks "too shiny" to be true. When I first took it off, it "looked" bad but it hosed right off but did deteriorate the top coat a little.

Do you understand what this is? Do you have a business card that's glued on a magnetic sheet cut to size? This is a large magnetic sheet. Great for ads I suppose. Another benefit, snow/ice roles right off! That is a bonus!

A little tip for application (hind sight). This sheet can get pliable when hot. I recommend letting to sit out under the hot sun or use blow dryer/heat gun (don't let the underside get dirty). It WILL absorb heat and will get hot. Stretch it when applying will yield better results and may prevent less dirt from getting under the top edge.

Last edited:
Back