magnaflow

MATX

:
MS6
Is the magnaflow cat back worth getting?
or should I get a 3in cat back I know the magnaflow is only 2.5, I may be getting a a/m downpipe.

go for a 3", the stock exauhst is 2.5" so your basically getting the same thing with just a different sound.

Says the man without a Speed6! Don't take it personally, but if you don't have personal experience then you can't go by what others say for this car. It is very complex.

Okay OP, you have to ask yourself what you want. Any 3" exhaust on this car will drone to a degree, if that bothers you then you need to budget for some sort of resonator. It has been said many times that the biggest bottlenecks are right after the engine, and you can change the exhaust manifold and downpipe while keeping the stock exhaust aft of there with little to no performance penalty.

I have the Magnaflow combined with a test pipe (for now, will do a downpipe at some point). System sounds good, not overpowering but good under throttle. You will see more gains from other mods (eg Accessport, different intercooler, downpipe) than you will with any catback. So decide what you are looking for and go from there.

I have the magnaflow catback. I luv it, but got it with thoughts in mind that i would not be getting a DP or removing the cat.

the stock catback it replaces is NOT a true 2.5". Meaning it tapers down to 2" at the Y pipe, and soundwise gets huge supression from the stock mufflers.
The catback magnaflow keeps a straight flow of 2.5" from the cat and doesnt supress as much @ the mufflers... so flow-wise it opens it up a bit for performance and sounds a lot better (without being stupid loud).

I would personally go with 3" custom if your planning for a DP & removing cat, and possible turbo upgrade in the future? if'n you can stand the noise or invest in a resonator like chief said.

Iam not sure how much more I wanna put into it, I can get a MF cat-back for 325$ I got FMIC AP TIP test pipe & ram intake as far as mods go. between a nice 3' downpipe+install and a 3' cat-bact I would be looking at another 1100+ I wanna sstart saving for the 2.5 turbo when it comes out so I think I'm gonna get the MF and call it quits, at least till I get a bargan on some things.

that's reasonable thinking, and that MF cb is pretty good pricewise.
Even as a temporary exhaust system, i think you'll like it!!! cheers.

i had a magnaflow catback exhausts on my previous car. i like the sound alot and the tips look real nice for a long time. however, one of the welds on the hanger came off. probably had it for about 1.5-2yrs before that happen. then it was banging around and super loud cause it left a hole in the pipe. sucked big time.

i tracked and abused that car regularly so the fault could be my own. it would'nt exactly stop me from buying their product again.

It sounds(for a MZR) and looks great, except that the round tips in oval surrounds does look a bit odd.

Another note, the exhaust was on the car when I bought it, be careful as there are instances of the magnaflow melting the bumper. So don't be suprised if that happens.

If it was not already on the car, I prolly would have gone with something with oval tips.

Back