maf sensor

kidpaint

:
Mazdaspeed protege
Hi, I have been looking around google and on here to see if I can get some help but no luck. I have done all the replacing and cleaning of the usually suspect parts of having our cars lag.

The Problem: When I drive I acc and I get about 2 lbs of boost and the boost gauge still goes to about 7lbs but its like the car doesnt go any faster really. Also, when I get to a stop light Ill push in the clutch and the cars rpm's goes down to the point where the car shuts off for a split second and usually starts back up again.

I replaced the coil packs, wires, plugs, cleaned the throttle body, egr valve. Had a vacuum leak test performed and came back with no leaks. Replaced the wastegate. This leads me to think that its the MAF sensor.

Does this sound like a possibility?

Also, does the protege maf sensor work on the msp? I have crossed reference the numbers on my msp maf online and I am getting mixed answers, but the protege is about half the price and Im broke.

Thanks

I wouldn't drop the money on a MAF until I have replaced everything else. They are sensitive but they are not too common to fail, same MAF as any other 2.0 protege or 1.8 Miata. You can clean the MAF, they make a spray but it sounds like your car has a sticking EGR, boost leak, or vac leak even if you couldn't find one. What vac does the boost gauge read at idle? Did you gap the plugs properly to .028"-.030"?

Hi Sorry for such a delayed response. I was away on a work trip. I ended up borrowing a MAF from a friend that we knew worked well cause it was new for his protege and fixed the issues he was having. It got rid of the turbo lag and the car accelerates much better now. I went and bought some of the MAF cleaning spray but it didnt do much. So I bought one. I got a cheap ebay one for like $50 with a lifetime warranty. Installed it on my car and everything seems to be working great. All but the part where the car wants pretends to die when I push the clutch in. I gapped the plugs to .30 when I did them and got the copper ones that were recommended on here. I replaced the egr valve on the car about 6 months ago when I did all the other way past due maintenance on the car.

My buddy that I got the car from said that it did the dying thing when he put a turboxs bov on the car. When I got the car from him, he removed all the aftermarket stuff like fmic and intake and things. I have all stock now along with the stock bypass valve. He said that he thought going back to stock would fix that problem but it didnt. Think the bypass valve may be bad from sitting or something. My boost gauges read about -17 in vac and about +7 for boost. When I accelerate I hear a more ssssshhhhhhhh air escaping sound verse turbo spool sound. I assumed this was the wastegate a while back and changed that out. Now I question if the bypass valve isnt just leaking. Any thoughts?

Back