Maf problems with cai's

Jspd6G

One of the guys from the service dept at the dealership i ordered my CAI from suggested that i be careful driving in rain and watch out for deep puddles. He told me that he has seen a couple of Mazda's in with CAI and maf problems because the maf gets corroded from the excess water being pulled up there. Anything i should be worried about?

yes, be afraid of what he just said or get a hyrdoshield for your filter. the problem is that there are vents in the wheel well right where the filter is and a lot of water can be sprayed through them from the tires and drench the filter then being sucked in and drenching the maf. you could cover those vents too if you wanted.

I have a cp-e, that took about a year to corrode. It was a good $550 mistake that could have bought me a acessport. :(

Put a hydro shield on it as well as a splash shield and you wont have any problems. Unless you drive through a foot of water.

if you have a bunch of water coming up to your maf sensor, im guessing your going to have bigger problems than just a little corrosion

if you clean it periodicaly your okay though right ?is it ok to spray electrical contact cleaner on it??
I just made a extremely rough splash shield out of a roll of sheet metal that bends slighty around the filter just waiting for i bit of a warmer day
just not sure if the other stretchy shield will be necessary after that

if you clean it periodicaly your okay though right ?is it ok to spray electrical contact cleaner on it??
I just made a extremely rough splash shield out of a roll of sheet metal that bends slighty around the filter just waiting for i bit of a warmer day
just not sure if the other stretchy shield will be necessary after that

They make a spray specifically for cleaning MAF's that are sold at autozone/advance, you should be fine with just a splash shield.

I had my filter freeze partially (with a hydroshield on it) and it caused the MAF to get a high reading and throw a CEL. I'm considering either a splash shield or a SRI for winter use.

Back