red headz

:
Mazda5 GT
And here is an updated view 5.21.09:
Lyss%20M5%20rear.JPG

And one more:
Lyss%20M5%20front.JPG

Original install thread:
My wife and I installed MS3 springs into our M5. The drop was just about right... BUT NOW THE REAR IS LEVEL with the front but it appears that the rear is sagging. When I measure the side skirt - my floor jack just clears the side skirts front and rear with the same clearance. At stock height, I had more clearance in the rear.

As noted in the pictures below, the MS3 springs dropped the front end about 1" and the rear just about 1.5"... which is almost too much as it APPEARS that the rear is sagging... but it's not. New wheels and perhaps a spacer or two might help.

Before @ stock ride height
M5%20ride%20height%20stock.JPG

After with MS3 springs installed (on stock struts/shocks)
M5%20ride%20height%20MS3b.JPG

Before & after measurements:
Front:
m5%20front%20b4.JPG

M5%20front%20after.JPG

Rear:
M5%20rear%20b4.JPG

M5%20rear%20after.JPG

So far so good. Ride quality is stiffer, but not too stiff. Still on stock dampers & have no desire to change struts/shocks any time soon.

michael.

Last edited:
yeah, sounds about right, just use the rubber spacers to even out the ride.

31D6C5PG00L_SS500_.jpg

I used 2 on each side

Last edited:
Dima - where can I get those spacers? Can you reveal your source? I've been seraching, but all I can find are the rubber doughnuts that fit under the entire spring.

M5%20rubber%20o.jpg

I would prefer to insert little foam/rubber spacers inside the springs versus the big circles between the spring and lower spring perch.

M5%20foam%20spacers.jpg

TIA.
michael.

Red Headz: When I worked at the auto parts stores, we carried couple different sizes of those rubber spacers. I would try your local parts store. The main problem with those spacers is that they can fall out easy (used to see them on the side of the roads walking to school).

As far as the MS3 springs, that is a good looking drop. I think that is a good choice, rather than going with an aftermarket spring that would be too firm.

How hard was the strut removal procedure?

Last edited:
hey Red ...I installed my cambers today and tried the helper springs to see if they would work. But looks like they are too large (wide) for the tight space we have...so when the rubber spacers arrive I will probably use those. I'll let you know.

Strut removal was okay. It just takes some balls to whack the snot out of your steering knuckle. Follow the PDF install/removal process & you'll be fine. Pretty straight forward suspension swap. On the first strut removal, it took about 45 minutes as I was prying, pounding, spraying penetration oil, pounding again... once I got it out, the second side was out in less than 10min(cabpatch).

I've got better picts I can post tomorrow. Rear still sits low, but camber plates on the way which should kick the rear wheels out.

As of now, the tires look like /./ \.\ from the rear, but once we install the new adjustable camber plates, we can drive like l.l l.l again! Should be a piece of cake.

I don't think i'll be adding 1" spacers. I'll instead focus on getting the front down another 1/2"... not quite sure how... but thinking.
(hippy)
michael.

Haha Red read my mind....I was considering dropping my front a little bit...to even out the look if the spacers didn't work. But with my wife driving it and my soon to be installed front lip I'm not too sure. The ghetto way would be to cut off about half a coil, or I heard there's a way to heat up the spring with a torch and kink it....not too sure how that works out. I'm going to my friends' shop tomorrow to pick up my new rims and get an alignment. I'm gonna ask him what he suggest to fix this...

As far as removal of the struts, the hardest part of the removal is pulling the strut out of that steering knuckle as Red said. My first side took almost an hour, the second about half that time, it's in there pretty tight, the 2x4 idea helps...the rear was easy as sunday morning....(idhitit)

Hey Red how much were your camber arms? I bought SPCs from an internet company for about $149 plus shipping a year ago, but finally installed them...did you get the Masdaspeed cambers?

Last edited:
I got SPC adjustable from from another Mazda forum's Group Buy for 160 shipped.

The MazdaSpeed rear cambers are not adjustable... and at this point, I need to flexible & adjustable. I'll probably adjust to have positive camber so when we haul heavy loads, the camber will even out.

michael.

a picture of my rear camber... looks way off. The picture does not look that bad, but the top of the tire is soo tucked inside the wheel well(doh)

rear%20camber%20issue.JPG

And here's a better overall picture of the ride height w/o the glare:
tinted%20w.%20MS3%20drop.JPG

(cool)

Aw man after I promised my wife that I wouldn't mod the Mazda 5 if we got it and now I see this. Must... resist... temptation...

I'll probably just get a front tower strut bar.

Nice ride btw! Where did you get the springs from?

dkaz -

Springs were less than 100 bucks. People are selling them all over... search here or other forums.

Installation? - my garage w/ jacks & jack stands... FREE!

m.

Hi Red Headz, I went to get my alignment today and adjusted the camber...
My buddy who did it all for me said that the SPCs are difficult to adjust. The location of the adjustments is right next to the strut and brake lines make it difficult to get to. He said it might have been easier to set them out (positive?) when I installed them...I just installed them, adjusted to the stock arms, and hoped to adjust it when I got it all aligned. Would have been a free alignment from my buddy but because he spent a good hour adjusting the camber I felt I had to pay for the alignment....my fault really because he also fixed my sway bar end link for me...

On another note, the back with my 19" rims installed looked awesome, the height is just perfect, looked mean with the neg camber. after we adjusted the camber it rubbed like crazy. I ended up having to trim my fenders after adjusting the cambers. If I had left the camber alone the 19s cleared even with the higher offset... (42) (drive)
I was gonna drop my front a little, but with so much rubbing on my rear, I decided it best to leave it alone and raise my rear with the rubber spacer...I got it off ebay, but it's not the same one you liked. Dima's are probably easier to install.
I got SPC adjustable from from another Mazda forum's Group Buy for 160 shipped.

The MazdaSpeed rear cambers are not adjustable... and at this point, I need to flexible & adjustable. I'll probably adjust to have positive camber so when we haul heavy loads, the camber will even out.

michael.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Springs are wonderful. Still 1" drop. The SPC rear camber plates are a PITA to adjust. You pretty much need to adjust them before the install. Once on the vehicle, good luck adjusting. Woof. (no)

I though positive camber was alright till I started rubbing (on stock wheels/tires).

So now I need remove the camber arms, bring them in a bit, and try again.(blah)

or roll your fenders on stock wheels:D j/k I have some tire rub too on mine, but I have 19s and its only when I hit a harsh bump....I did roll the fender, but I'm hoping when I get off my lazy ass, and install the spacers, in that case, I might have to re-adjust the camber....which is why I'm lagging a bit....

Notice how the ring spacers have a cut in them so they will slide right into the spring without having to remove them.

Dima - where can I get those spacers? Can you reveal your source? I've been seraching, but all I can find are the rubber doughnuts that fit under the entire spring.

M5%20rubber%20o.jpg

I would prefer to insert little foam/rubber spacers inside the springs versus the big circles between the spring and lower spring perch.

M5%20foam%20spacers.jpg

TIA.
michael.

Red....hey, sorry it took so long. I finally got off my lazy ass and installed the rubber spacers...like kenyork said, there is a cut in the middle so you can slide them between the springs. I did that, being that the diameter of the MS3 springs is smaller than the rubber ring laying flat, sliding them between the coils worked okay. I'm hoping the weight of the car will keep the spacers from popping out, I used a little soap and water to slicken them up a bit to slide them in farther up the coil like Dima suggested. As I slowley lowered the car I adjusted the spacers to sit inside each coil. Was really easy, took like 5 mins per side (including jacking up the car) It is well worth it, even though I like the look of the tires barely tucking under the fender, it's much more driveable with the spacers in...with my 19's on bumps, I'd get a little bit of rubbing on my fenders, with the spacers, there's a bigger wheel gap, but it's pretty even with the front and no more rubbing....(killit)

oh, yeah, I like your new rims, I have Falken KF452s on mine, I was looking for something that was pretty quiet and had good treadwear. The Falkens had a 300 treadwear so I was pretty happy, plus they grip pretty decent, I mean I'm not racing this one, so having globs of grip and a treadwear of 160 or lower is pointless...I had yokohama's on one of my previous cars, gripped like no other, really low treadwear, i'd say they lasted about 3 months...hahaha

Last edited:
...I used a little soap and water to slicken them up a bit

Um...(cool) Once I get the 18's on, I'll make a final decision. I have a line on Falken Ziex ZE-912 for a good price. But I need to slow down for a while. Wheels, springs, camber plates, tint, LED bumper lights... to much $$ in a few months.

Last edited:
I know how that is....between my new wheels, suspension, body kit etc....I'm out about $4k...that was in about 3 months time....haha(puke)

I would just wait til your current tires are so worn out you have to replace them....mine wore down to the wire, so I had no choice...mainly because of the camber issues the car has stock...hopefully the camber arms help....

Back