M5 roof rails? Why not N. America?

red headz

:
Mazda5 GT
North American M5's do not come with roof rails (not Canada, Mexico or in the states) but we have that roof track where you can attach clips for Yakima or Thule...

But the UK M5's some standard with roof rails. My wife and I are trying to figure out how to get their roof rails onto our Mazda5. Once we have roof rails, then we can attach the Thule or Yakima attachments w/ cross bars.

Any ideas? See below.
michael.

Attachments

• m5 w. roof rails.jpg
    m5 w. roof rails.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,066
  • m5 w. roof rails2.jpg
    m5 w. roof rails2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 866
  • thule roof rail foot.jpg
    thule roof rail foot.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 840
  • thule roof rail foot2.jpg
    thule roof rail foot2.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 532
???
They are available in NA. (as an optional accessory)

Part # CC43-V4-701G.

You can order them from the dealer when you buy new or pick it up online.
Simple google search will get you a ton of places that sell them.

Example: http://mazdagear.com/roofrackremovable-cc43-mazda5.aspx

He's talking about rails and not the cross bars. He doesn't want the Mazda only cross bar rack, I think he specifically wants to use a standard Thule type cross bar mounted on rails.

He's talking about rails and not the cross bars. He doesn't want the Mazda only cross bar rack, I think he specifically wants to use a standard Thule type cross bar mounted on rails.

Exactly.

I want roof rails - like most SUV's and Subaru's... then I can attach a 'rack' or cross bars to the rails.

michael.

I'm owning a Mazda 5 in Germany. In Germany they ship with the roof rails. I could try to find out the Mazda part number. Usually every Mazda part can be ordered everywhere in the world. The question is at which price.

For example:
I wanted to install the Facelift LED tail lights on my car. I finally ordered them in the US for ~320. In Germany and the countries around Mazda charges you ~830 for the same part number !

Let me now and I'll try to find out the part number the next time I visit my Mazda dealer.

Particlekeeper (which makes me think of the LHC particle accelerator) -

Game on. Please find the part numbers for those rails. Nothing in N.America comes with them - so I would be shipping from Japan or Europe or across another pond, sorta like you wanting to purchase LED tails.

michael.

I've seen somewhere else on the forums (sorry can't recolelct where, unless it might be in the lounge), that a member who's a dealer has already looked into this. IT CANNOT BE DONE, as the mounting points for the rails do not exist on NA cars like they do elsewhere.

I had the same idea and wanted to try. Same with the power doors, which also look like a bust.

:-(

I've seen somewhere else on the forums (sorry can't recolelct where, unless it might be in the lounge), that a member who's a dealer has already looked into this. IT CANNOT BE DONE, as the mounting points for the rails do not exist on NA cars like they do elsewhere.

I had the same idea and wanted to try. Same with the power doors, which also look like a bust.

I'm not giving up! (headshake
michael.

I want these, too. I can't imagine why they wouldn't bolt into the same mounting points as the crazy crossbars. When I've put euro-rails on my Volvos, they used these points (one bolt up front, one closer to the back) on each rail.

red headz, you have to do this!

It may not be that easy afterall. Those headliners may have to be removed
to mount the roof rails according to this diagram. (9-16) in the workshop manual.

==

roofrails.JPG

==

The diagram shows the roof rails come with mounting brackets that should
themselves mount on the roof. And the roof-rail to the mounting brackets.
Maybe dealer need to see this diagram. lolz. (where did you get this? they
surely will ask).

There has to be already pre-stamped holes on the roof to accomodate
either N.A. or European.. I mean they won't have separate settings
for the machines that make the roof for NA and Europe. no?

ahh need more research. Someone should visit the junk yard and study
roof section of a dead MAZDA5.

Last edited:

I'm not sure I believe that. They come from the same factory, and it's be an additional expense to make different ones for different markets. Small expenses add up in manufacturing. Think about it - $10 extra on 500,000 units = $5,000,000.

Are you gonna join me? (glare)

michael.

Indeed! (second)

Seriously, Michael, if you are taking this on, I'm in for helping with research. I don't see it being cheap, since all the 'little parts' will need to be sourced but I think we can make it happen. I'll be getting a set once the research is done and I'll make them fit, whether mazda wanted us to or not. Hardest part for me will be finding all the parts.

Last edited:
Actually, the guy from rack-import sells an alternate product to the OEM Mazda Thule rack. It's cheaper and better looking for many people. They are bolting in the same mounting points on the roof than the Mazda rack.

Game on.

A buddy of mine studying at Oxford right now is checking into part numbers and shipping info.

For the time being, click here: http://www.rack-import.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_10_13&sort=20a
Looks like this setup would work, if they actually had some in stock.

Also check out this other thread involving Yakima: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123637424

Too much info right now...

Okay, here's my contribution...I found most of the parts. See email below:
Mike,

We got all the parts except for 2 x 9YB1-20-603 NUT

Prices as follows:

CC51-51-T10C $ 265
CC51-51-T20C $ 265
CC51-51-U30 $ 27
CC51-51-U40 $ 27
CC51-51-U90 $ 24 (x2)
9YB0-40-604A $ 3 (x2)
Speed post shipment to PA, USA, 17057 $ 70

We use EMS speed post, takes 4 business days with tracking, and it is considerably cheaper than DHL, UPS or FeDex,

Thanks
Moshe Aron
Aron spare parts marketing Ltd.
1 Harechev st., Tel Aviv 67771, Israel
Tel:972 3 537 4111 Fax: 972 3 537 2325
www.aronparts.com

It actually sounds like a really good deal but a little steep for me right now. About $700 shipped. I'm sure the 2 'nuts' they don't have are basic metric nuts so not a big deal.

I hope it helps someone. I've gotta do some saving first.

FWIW, I used a Jeep Cherokee rail setup on an older wagon and it worked great. Just needed to drill and install those 'nutserts' and bolt it on. Scary for some, but I never had a problem with it.

I've looked into in the past. You need the rails and hardware described, as well as the black decorative strips that run the length of the vehicle under the rails as the NA ones need to be replaced with the Euro ones for the rear mounting is different. I'm pretty sure the front mounts are the same.http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3901371#post3901371http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=132553http://phwt.mazda.dk/mazda/viewImage.do?imageId=0B26656DD65F4ACA8763EBD9AC0B44AE&partName=Tagboks Ocean 200&partNumber=C809-V4-705

German prices for the rails

I've just recently been at my Mazda dealer and asked for the prices of the required parts. Overall it's ~680. The pieces plus shipping is not worth it I think.

CC51-51-T10C 288,31
CC51-51-T20C 288,31
CC51-51-U30 20,50
CC51-51-U40 20,86
CC51-51-U90 25,53 x2
9YB0-40-604A 1,43 x2
9YB1-20-603 4 x2

Well poop. I knew it'd be expensive, but not cost prohibitive...

So we just dropped about 400 bucks on a complete Yakima base rack: Control Towers, Landing Pad 11, 58" bars, 44" fairing and more locking cores.

I would have preferred the roof rails, alas, I concede.

Back