LS/Vtec

Hey I dont know where to put this but i have a Mazda3, and an rx7 but my buddy has a 3.5MSP and a Ls Teg. Anyone done an LS/Vtec swap before we need some help so we can use it for his winter beater.

Are you putting the gsr head on an ls block or, are you swapping out a full gsr with an ls or are you useing another head like i think the code is a B18 I can't remember all my honda codes. There any many options to do this.

Hey I dont know where to put this but i have a Mazda3, and an rx7 but my buddy has a 3.5MSP and a Ls Teg. Anyone done an LS/Vtec swap before we need some help so we can use it for his winter beater.

yes, done a ls/vtec before. It makes good power, but its not really realiable. It depends on what head you going to use. Use can use any B series Vtec head. Best head for the swap imo is a B16B or B18c5.

You would need to modify the ls block and the vtec head for oil. You need a vtec ecu, knock senor, and a few other stuff. you can use the LS water pump, but it is more effective to use a vtec waterpump, but with vtec waterpump you will need the GSR timing belt.

here are the basic parts need.

DOHC VTEC B-series cylinder head complete with valve cover, intake manifold, VTEC solenoid assembly and internals
VTEC B-series distributor
90-'01 Integra LS head gasket
Vtec ECU
'94-'01 Integra GS-R head bolts
94-'01 Integra GS-R water pump
94-'01 Integra GS-R timing belt
94-'01 Integra GS-R knock sensor
Some drill bits and taps
braided line and fitting for oil.

You can probably find more detail instuction on a honda forum like honda-tech or something.

well i had an ls block with a gsr head setup and it blew up after about 10k. Probably from all that high reving and beating the crap out of the car. You can make it super reliable, i just didn't have the money at the time.

Last edited:
ahh gotcha i figure i am going to spend the extra couple buck and shotpeen the rods and such and the main failing part is the rod bolts just have to replace them with arp stuff along with the head bolts

ahh gotcha i figure i am going to spend the extra couple buck and shotpeen the rods and such and the main failing part is the rod bolts just have to replace them with arp stuff along with the head bolts

Most people swap it and not build the internals, cuz the swap is relatively cheap compared to a full motor swap. And you are right about the rods. For me the piston rod smashed through my block and pretty much destroyed it. It gave me incredible power in my civic hatch, but I eventually just swapped in Gsr in my hatch, but then it got stolen.

Last edited:
Most people swap it and not build the internals, cuz the swap is relatively cheap compared to a full motor swap. And you are right about the rods. For me the piston rod smashed through my block and pretty much destroyed it. It gave me incredible power in my civic hatch, but I eventually just swapped in Gsr in my hatch, but then it got stolen.

yeah makes sense it is pretty cheap to just throw a vtec head on a engine somebody has laying around. My rods are being sent out to be smoothed, shot peened, compressed, balanced, and have the arp rod bolts installed. Getting b16B P30 pistons .25 over with molycoated skirts and ceramic coated domes. Block is getting bored .25 over with arp main and head studs and a moroso oil pan with gsr water pump and oil pump. Not really skimping out in too many places but i am also not go rediculous high dollar with this either.

engine.jpg

blocktopclean.jpg

my friend has a 97 rs, so this pretty interesting stuff to me.

ive heard people switch out the gsr 5th gear with the LS 5th gear for highway cruising. are you going to do this? after all it is somewhat of a daily driver, and itd suck to be doing 65 on the freeway at 4K rpm in 5th gear lol

yeah makes sense it is pretty cheap to just throw a vtec head on a engine somebody has laying around. My rods are being sent out to be smoothed, shot peened, compressed, balanced, and have the arp rod bolts installed. Getting b16B P30 pistons .25 over with molycoated skirts and ceramic coated domes. Block is getting bored .25 over with arp main and head studs and a moroso oil pan with gsr water pump and oil pump. Not really skimping out in too many places but i am also not go rediculous high dollar with this either.

Most of the time a lot of people or machine shops don't put this swap together right and get oil and coolant leaks. What car are you swapping this into?

I was thinking about doing an ls swap for my 00 civic. But will probably just do a gsr or b16 swap instead.

my friend has a 97 rs, so this pretty interesting stuff to me.

ive heard people switch out the gsr 5th gear with the LS 5th gear for highway cruising. are you going to do this? after all it is somewhat of a daily driver, and itd suck to be doing 65 on the freeway at 4K rpm in 5th gear lol

It been done. the ls tranny has long ratios, pretty good on gas mileage. I would probably do it if i choose to do the GSR swap, cuz the civic is my daily commuter.

Most of the time a lot of people or machine shops don't put this swap together right and get oil and coolant leaks. What car are you swapping this into?

I was thinking about doing an ls swap for my 00 civic. But will probably just do a gsr or b16 swap instead.

yeah the only time a machine shop is touching this engine is to bore the block, take care off mating my rods to the pistons, and lighten the crank. I am assembling the entire engine myself at my dealer in my spare time. As far as chassis i am not sure yet. I want to get the engine all sorted out and built then go looking for a clean pre-obd2 car mostly a eg hatch though

Back