BlackCherry

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
So i have a few questions:
-I'm planning on lowering my car
-Springs struts, the works
-Will I need new end links? If so which are preferred
-Is a rear sway bar necessary?
-Is there a how to somewhere that I can use as a reference?
-Any tips, or words of advice?

new oem endlinks are a good idea...a rear sway will help-out greatly...and i believe there is a how-to.

it's a pretty simple process...be sure to get an alignment afterwards.

What difference would the rear sway bar add though, and how noticeable? Can I add it later.

How much, and where can i get the endlinks?

That chart supplied some good info, thanks

The rear sway bar will make the stiffness of the rear end horizontally wise, much much better and you will notice a huge difference when cornering. I haven't personally gotten one yet but I plan on getting an MSP rear sway eventually.

The rear sway bar will make the stiffness of the rear end horizontally wise, much much better and you will notice a huge difference when cornering. I haven't personally gotten one yet but I plan on getting an MSP rear sway eventually.

Hmmm, alright, I heard that the progressive rear sway bar was good

What difference would the rear sway bar add though, and how noticeable? Can I add it later.

How much, and where can i get the endlinks?

That chart supplied some good info, thanks

it's been a while since i bought the endlinks...they're not too expensive, iirc...probably $25 for the front...$25 for the rear? you can get them from onlinemazdaparts.com or your local dealership.

you can add a rear sway later...and it's pretty noticeable...it's a great mod to do.

it's been a while since i bought the endlinks...they're not too expensive, iirc...probably $25 for the front...$25 for the rear? you can get them from onlinemazdaparts.com or your local dealership.

you can add a rear sway later...and it's pretty noticeable...it's a great mod to do.

Does anyone know what the parts # is? And is that a pair or a single?

You'll really like the Progress rear swaybar. I have it myself and its great for the street. It's not the most agressive swaybar out there... but it works extremely well.

For springs and struts I recommend the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs and Tokico HP Blue Struts. The Blues feel great and the Eibachs will yield a very attractive drop.

The rear endlinks might break with the aftermarket sway, but definitely try stockers to keep the cost down for now. If they break you can get a set of AWR adjustable links.

You'll really like the Progress rear swaybar. I have it myself and its great for the street. It's not the most agressive swaybar out there... but it works extremely well.

For springs and struts I recommend the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs and Tokico HP Blue Struts. The Blues feel great and the Eibachs will yield a very attractive drop.

The rear endlinks might break with the aftermarket sway, but definitely try stockers to keep the cost down for now. If they break you can get a set of AWR adjustable links.

Would the AWR rear work with the stock front, or would I need the whole set?
Also what if the end links break while driving, could that be dangerous, costly in the future?

Last edited:
Front swaybars aren't really recommended to upgrade bcause of the understeer (I believe it's understeer you get from upgrading the front, could be oversteer).

Would the AWR rear work with the stock front, or would I need the whole set?
Also what if the end links break while driving, could that be dangerous, costly in the future?

by adding struts/springs/rear sway, i HIGHLY doubt you'll ever snap an endlink. stick with stock...it's all you need...awr's would be overkill.

The reason why I said that is because people have broken their stock links with aftermarket swaybars and that was daily driving. Just saying.

It wouldn't be overkill, it just might not be necessary right away.

And BlackCherry, you can use rear AWR links with stock fronts. It won't hurt anything. You just don't want the links to break. I don't know how fast you drive your car, but you want the endlinks to be in one piece and connected when you drive off into a corner at high speeds.

Last edited:
The reason why I said that is because people have broken their stock links with aftermarket swaybars and that was daily driving. Just saying.

It wouldn't be overkill, it just might not be necessary right away.

And BlackCherry, you can use rear AWR links with stock fronts. It won't hurt anything. You just don't want the links to break. I don't know how fast you drive your car, but you want the endlinks to be in one piece and connected when you drive off into a corner at high speeds.

Hmmm, ok, would there be any benefit from getting the front awr endlinks too?

Just adjustibility. You can adjust the pre-load on the swaybar with adjustable endlinks. It's more for the motorsport oriented drivers. The average guy wont technically need them, but they are stronger than stock.

Ok so basically here's what I'm aiming for
-Tokico HP and Espelirs combo that I'm buying from a member on this forum
-Progress sway bar
-rear awr endlink
-either stock or awr for front
Sounds good?
And I need like a link or something to the front endlink if anyone has it :[
A how to would be cool too!

I've had stock endlinks with progress sway & tokico illuminas lowered 1.5 for 4 years or so with no endlink issues whatsoever. AWR or GT Spec trailing arms is another good purchase. Also you could add the 25.00 mx-6 rear strut tower brace to tighten it up a bit more even. The worst thing about the strut install is removing all the plastic stuff in the back cargo area & not losing or breaking clips. Might as well do the stb mod while you have the plastic panels out. They'll need hole cut in each side for stb.

Ok so basically here's what I'm aiming for
-Tokico HP and Espelirs combo that I'm buying from a member on this forum
-Progress sway bar
-rear awr endlink
-either stock or awr for front
Sounds good?
And I need like a link or something to the front endlink if anyone has it :[
A how to would be cool too!

It's a perfect start!

Another option to the rear and the front endlinks is to make your own...there is a great "how to" in that section which i am in the process of doing....and they are adjustable.

Latest posts

Back