Low Cost Android Tablet for Headrest Media Player - Your Thoughts?

jimihat

:
Mazda CX5 Sport 2.2d (175) Nav Auto AWD
Hi All

I've been looking at several low cost chinese android tablets to use as a media player in the back of the car for my Daughter. We have a DVD player at the moment but it constatly skips etc and finding compatible formats that will play from it's usb port is a nightmare.

I wonder if anyone has any views on using an android tablet and any recommendations if so; I want it to play as many video formats as possible whilst giving decent volume, and picture. Also thinking about something that will work fine with a car charger plugged in as the battery life seems to be very poor on most of them. If I could afford it I'd just get an old IPAD but they still seem very expensive (even for a 1st gen).

Your thoughts/experiences would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

What is your price range? Cheaper tablets don't usually provide loud sound and a decent battery life. They also usually come with bugs that won't get fixed

Get a Nook HD or HD+. Good cpu power, long battery, excellent hi-res screen, and have a micro-SD card slot for storing movies. You can download software players off the appstore that will play any format. And you can root them easily and load other versions of Android if you want. Best of all they are very cheap for the excellent hardware you get. $130 for the 7" HD (8GB), or $150 for the 9" HD+ (16GB)

You can buy the much cheaper tablets, but the screen quality is poor, as is the hardware quality and cpu.

Last edited:
The new Nexus 7 is at a good price point, but you could def same some money by purchasing last years model. Or hit ebay and buy used I'm watching iPad mini prices on there now, I'm hoping there will be lots of listings after Christmas

Thanks for your thoughts guys, the Nook looks like a possibility. I have pretty much no budget so will be relying on the used market; I think the Nexus 7 will be out of reach.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

I've been using my blackberry playbook, and a clip mount for the headrest. Only problem, which I imagine will be the same for most of the tablets out there is the poor speaker quality. Although the playbook has some pretty decent speakers, they're not nearly loud enough for the car so we have some headphones (also saves us from having to listen to it).

How about bluetooth headphones?
They could also connect through the car's bluetooth no?

Back