low beam bulb,replaced three times in one year?

alexcited

:
protege5
this cannot be normal,i've NEVER had to replace a bulb as often as i have been on my protege5. anyone else have this problem?

what sort of bulbs are going in? i had some Sylvania Silver Stars that didn't last very long. They sucked too.

yeah its probably the bulb. With the silver stars i noticed that they're bright when you first put them in but they quickly lose their brightness and the usable light sucks.

I use these now. hahah a bit pricey, i've had them in for a year or more but i don't drive much now.
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H7.asp
<table width="640" border="1"><tbody><tr><td align="center">
CP64217
</td> <td> H7 Bulb, 12V, 65W, Hyper by Osram, 2100 Lumens, each </td> <td align="center">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:
nope, i just ordered them off that site awhile back. just so you know they're not any special color or anything. I think they're are an H9 filament in an H7 package. So like OEM lighting just brighter

yeah,but i cant exactly wait for them to come in the mail. since im stuck with no headlight and such. which sucks

Personally, I would just buy OEM Mazda bulbs. Had to replace one a few years ago and never a problem. They seem to be bright enough and are reasonably priced.

i had that issue till i ordered an HID kit from Apexcone.

No problems since

I'm with you. I've replaced my headlights with those bulbs several times.

Why stay with them if they keep burning out? They have a year warrantee. I've saved my receipt and they've swapped 'em out at the store no question asked.

Though, I keep telling myself next ones that go I convert to the HID's like some others here have done. Just need to read up on them, and the kelvin that i want. Saw a guy with purple, (not a tinge---flat out purple) headlights the other day on the highway. Was not 'cool'. Looked awful.

I know HID's color shifts as it ages.., need to make sure it 'shifts' towards white/slight blue, not purple. (crazy)

-Jason

Best color to go with if you want most usable light is between 4oooK and 6000K

4000K is going to be super pure white. I've got 4000K TechOne kit sold by Protophile for $99 and haven't had a single problem

I personally am running a 4300K kit which is just a tinge less white than the 4000K kit, but still pure white non the less.

5000K kit will give a tinge of blue, and the 6000K a little more blue with a TINY tinge of purple.

But, if you want the most usable light, go with a 4000K

Best color to go with if you want most usable light is between 4oooK and 6000K

4000K is going to be super pure white. I've got 4000K TechOne kit sold by Protophile for $99 and haven't had a single problem

I personally am running a 4300K kit which is just a tinge less white than the 4000K kit, but still pure white non the less.

5000K kit will give a tinge of blue, and the 6000K a little more blue with a TINY tinge of purple.

But, if you want the most usable light, go with a 4000K

Good feedback/info. Thanks!

-Jason

this cannot be normal,i've NEVER had to replace a bulb as often as i have been on my protege5. anyone else have this problem?

I love my 6K DDM Hid's
they look amazing, and the usable light is great as well.
the 5K are great too.

But hey alexcited, ive seen a thread on this b4 and it appears to be a very common problem amoung some forum members.

Good feedback/info. Thanks!

-Jason

No problem. Lemme know if you have any other questions.

And, there is always a debate as to which light is best. Honostyl, it's all personal preference. But as long as you stay within the 4000K to 6000K range, you'll be good

I said the same thing for HID, no funds...but after realizing that i am spending around 40+ bucks a set, i opted for HID. The DDM are pretty reliable and inexpensive for the amount you pay for bulbs. Just remember, that HID's last way longer then bulbs...basically it is the convenience of not swapping out bulbs every few months that i justified the cost...3 sets of silver stars can pretty much cover 1 set of HIDs.

You just missed out on Protophile's Group buy of $99 and it woulda got you a lowbeam set of HID's, which is all you need in the Pro5.

If not, I think Apexcone is still selling thier DDM(thin ballast) kit with lifetime warranty for $110

And after 2 sets of Silverstars going out, i opted to just get my money back rather than constantly replace bulbs and used that towards the HID kit.

But be warned. HID bug bites hard. I've got a custom set of headlights being built by Chicoloco on this forum. He is putting Acura TL projectors into Protege sedan housings. I should have em done at the end of the month

Why you may ask? Easy. Better light distribution, better light focus, and no glare at oncoming drivers

I know that some P5's are burdened with this issue. It has been explained by some as voltage spikes in the harness or a grounding issue. Either way I never took the time to fix it as I installed HID's. No real problems ever since.

i had some Sylvania Silver Stars that didn't last very long. They sucked too.

I've had no issues with silver stars. they are plenty bright and i'm on the same bulbs i put in over a year ago. I did disable my DRL's so i'm sure that would extend the life a bit.

Latest posts

Back