Love Hate Relationship in less than one Week

This goes back to we really shouldn't judge an individual tire based on something from said brand we had in the past-trouble is its pretty hard even for ppl who read up not to...yes I've heard nothing but fantastic things about mich pss hell i have a set of mich Xi2s in my garage in waiting to replace my worn dunlops went on much research despite my numerous past disappointments with various mich as models that were fitted to my vehicles over the years. X1 is wearing yoko advansport as which i think are great..not in wet much less snow or ice but i knew this..wanted a great handling tire i could trust to go 30k while keeping costs down..mission accomplished..again it all depends where ones priorities lie..like alot

Last edited:
This goes back to we really shouldn't judge an individual tire based on something from said brand we had in the past-trouble is its pretty hard even for ppl who read up not to...yes I've heard nothing but fantastic things about mich pss hell i have a set of mich Xi2s in my garage in waiting to replace my worn dunlops went on much research despite my numerous past disappointments with various as models that were fitted to my vehicles over the years. X1 is wearing yoko advansport as which i think are great..not in wet but i knew this..wanted a great handling tire i could trust to go 30k while keeping costs down..mission accomplished..again it all depends

My experience with the PSS is that they had a bit more give in the side-wall than the Potenza's, but they wouldn't do a 360 on the highway in the rain, either...kindof a trade I'm okay with. If I wanted "dry weather only", I would have bought PS Cup's.

I am contemplating Xi2's, but am on the fence vs. the ATX's, given how some years it doesn't snow but a few inches and melts 2 days later, here.

If you need 1 tire all year to last long and be able to handle snow you could certainly do worse but to me they handled and returned almost winter tire like results in that way..my gy tripletreds were way better imo..but did get loud as **** and rode pretty firm as are my dunlop 3d winters but they handle!!

I will likely replace my LX20's with Goodyear's.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=203

Again, they absolutely destroy the Geos. Especially scary is the wet stopping distance. HOLY CRAP!

Last edited:
I understand that, but put some Michelin on, and you will get far longer treadlife, and similar or better performance.

I know my 370z came on Potenzas, and it left me on PSS. PSS was much better. Actually safe in the rain, too.

After my Yoko's were toast I put on Michelin 19" premiers that I bought from Tire Rack. World of difference, super quiet, softer ride, exceptional wet and dry handling. Have 8000 miles on them so far and agree with the extremely high reviews that Tire Rack and customers have posted on their site.

Uno, I think I bought my Michelin Latitude Tours in 2014. Only difference with them is that they are a lower speed rating than the Geolandars. But boy do they perform so much better. Rain, snow, etc. Like you I have no problem in 6+ inches of snow with these combined with the CX-5 AWD system. They seem to be worse rated now than they were back then, but I can attest that they have served me well. Got them on at 18.5k miles when one of my Geolandars formed a bubble in the sidewall. I was going to replace them anyways because they were s*** tires in the snow and at least 2 of them I was constantly having to check pressure and refill periodically more than normal. Total POS tires.

I'm at 53k miles now and my Michelins still have plenty of life.

I think now the big honcho Michelins are the Premier LTX? They didn't have those back then when I bought mine. ;)

Uno, I think I bought my Michelin Latitude Tours in 2014. Only difference with them is that they are a lower speed rating than the Geolandars. But boy do they perform so much better. Rain, snow, etc. Like you I have no problem in 6+ inches of snow with these combined with the CX-5 AWD system. They seem to be worse rated now than they were back then, but I can attest that they have served me well. Got them on at 18.5k miles when one of my Geolandars formed a bubble in the sidewall. I was going to replace them anyways because they were s*** tires in the snow and at least 2 of them I was constantly having to check pressure and refill periodically more than normal. Total POS tires.

I'm at 53k miles now and my Michelins still have plenty of life.

I think now the big honcho Michelins are the Premier LTX? They didn't have those back then when I bought mine. ;)

Yeah, I looked at my tires again tonight, and I just cannot justify spending the money for this winter. Next year though, it will be time.

The tire pressure is 36 psi all around in my car while the sticker on the door says the pressure should be set at 34 psi cold.

Maybe I'm whining at bit. The other day going into town the road noise seemed almost as high as for my Civic - but that is subjective, hence the reaction. Heavy traffic probably adds to the noise level.

As regards the sound system I found that turning off the centerpoint improved the sound to my sense of hearing. A little more tweaking the equalizer also brought improvement.
New quieter tires are definitely a cheaper way to go about it, than trading it in for a GT model. If you can though, try test driving another Touring CX-5 and a GT CX-5 on the same roads you have issues with. It should be able to tell you if there is something different NVH wise in your specific car and on the GT trim CX-5s.

Back