Loud crack?

Bremmer

I was backing up out of a parking spot today when I heard a loud crack from under my car. My car was backing up and then it stopped and just coasted. my clutch wouldn't engage. So I sat there for a little and tried again, still nothing. Finally after about a minute I put it in first and it was fine. Is this a sign of a clutch going bad or is it somethign else. It was pretty warm out today too. I'm probably going to take it into the dealer to check it out cause i only have 8300 miles on it. Just want to know what to expect.

had it rained? there may have been a small amount of rust between the pads and calipers. (common here in s.FL)

yes definately tell the dealer. Make sure they log it in your record in the event they don't find it...

GotBoost said:
had it rained? there may have been a small amount of rust between the pads and calipers. (common here in s.FL)

uhhh, calipers on a clutch??

No I know what that rust thing sounds like after i wash my car and it's not that. THe thing that kills that idea is that my clutch didnt engage cause i had it in reverse and nothing happened. It was a loud as crack too, it eckoed off the building like someone took a bat to my car. I'm taking it in tomorrow. I guess I have to keep driving it though, hope it doesnt do it agian and then never engage.

Its just the sound of the E-brake sticking cause our rotors rust up within 10 minutes of being wet.Just another common Mazdaspeed problem.

to me its kinda sounds like your car wasen't fully in reverse, it was half-way in ad when you back it it makes a grinding craking sound? possible?

NJMAZDASPEED said:
Its just the sound of the E-brake sticking cause our rotors rust up within 10 minutes of being wet.Just another common Mazdaspeed problem.
If you didn't read the first post........THE CLUTCH WOULD NOT ENGAGE AFTER THE SOUND.

Is there any way that maybe the release bearing in the tranny(clutch) might be pouched?

Well, when, if you find out, post back here and tell us what it was. Maybe more MSP's will have this problem.

I'm gonna try to get it to the dealer this week, but i'm kinda stuck anyway cause I can't reproduce it for them so it's not like they'll do anything about it. And there was no grinding at when it popped. It actually shook the bottom of my car when it happened and it was LOUD. Like someone took a bat at full swing to my rear fender, even though the sound came from under my car. I checked and checked again and I see no fluids leaking and nothing runs different. But I'm assuming our clutches are hydrolic, and when I bought the car it would engage all the way through the throw of the peddle. Now it only engages RIGHT before I let out the peddle. I'm guessing it's a sign of wear unless it's just the crap feel of the mazda clutch. And i only have 8400 miles on the car. The techs at the dealership I work at can't understand why it would do that either and don't know what it was. So I guess I'll just wait till it does it again.
Edit: and yes the clutch would not engage at all. I sat there with it in reverse and my foot off the peddle, the car did not stall out or jerk budge or make any noise what so ever.

Last edited:
Back