Lost power to stock stereo

JhonnyR

Hi everyone.

I've done some things to my radio and now I have no battery power input to it. Here's what I did:

Last weekend I put new speakers in the doors connected to the old speaker wires. Everything worked fine.

I want to use the stock radio with some amps to drive those speakers.

Today I pulled out the stock radio and soldered the speaker wires from 2 speakers to a line output converter. I also cut the 12v switched line (yellow with silver dots) and ran it back to the remote input of the amps (also connecting it back to the other end of the yellow with silver dot line).

I reinserted all wiring to the radio and tested it.... NOTHING.....:::???

Thinking that the 12v switched might be drawing too much current i cut off the taps that i put on it and still nothing.

I pulled it back out and tested it with a voltmeter. No power in the 12 V battery input (large black wire with orange cap) or in the 12 V switched. I tested it in every possible ignition configuration.

I had soldered all of the connections and yes the battery is reconnected. The radio fuse under the hood (only fuse I know of for it) and it's good.

The (hopefully) speaker wires I cut were grey with a black stripe, white with a black stripe, solid grey, and solid white. They were all on the lower horizontal line of the plastic connector.

Why doesn't my radio have power anymore? Not even 12V constant...???

Thank you for any help you can provide.

I assumed the fuse for the radio was in the fuse box under the glove box, not under the hood. Just a guess of course, but I'd check the fuses there next.

Thank you for your quick reply!

I don't see a fusebox under the glovebox, in the driver's side area, or in the owner's manual other than the one under the hood. The fusebox under the hood does have a fuse (20A) that is labelled radio.

That's interesting, I wouldn't think the fusebox location would be different from the ms3 and the regular 3... It is hidden under there on mine though.. Hopefully someone else will come along and chime in.

Sry mordant80 you were right. I was missing a portion of my manual and didn't know it. I wouldn't have guessed to turn those white wing nuts that were so far from each other.

I found the blown fuse.

Thank you for your help.

Latest posts

Back