Lost compression... where to start

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
My mazdaspeed lost its compression the other day. Numbers were like 82, 78, 60 something and 0... The motor only has 87k miles on it and the built bottom end only has 50k. The car has no throttle response when you start it and it dies shortly after. Think its the rings? Someone also said it could be my valvetrain but i dont even know where to start looking. I can a a regular protege motor locally for 600 i might just swap into it. I would like to rebuild this one for my mp3 if possible. If the rings are bad, does anyone know if I can order more from wiseco? It is also bored .020 over. Any input would be awesome guys, thank you so much

It sounds like a bad head gasket to me. Usually if the rings go the compression is low, but 0 sounds like a head gasket or bad piston. Try doing a wet compression test by pouring a small amount of oil into the dead cylinder and the checking compression. If the compression improves then it indicates worn rings...

Ok. I was thinking a little bit ago that it might be the head gasket cause she was smoking pretty good even at idle. I will start pulling the head off sometime in the next few days

Back