Looking into a MSP

2003pro5

Well i finished paying off my pro5 and I'm really considering getiing a MSP. The ones i've been looking into have 35-55K miles on it for around $10-$12, my question is how reliable are they and what problems should I expect?

My Pro5 has 48000miles and no serious problems except for the short that cost $175

Please any suggestions or comments

thanks

I think you would be better off with a turbo kit. My P5 will be paid off at income tax. You can search and see that most have upgraded their Mazdaspeed with parts most Turbo kits will come with. Fuel management hardpipes and FMIC and bigger turbo +much more power to start with.

I recommend you visit www.Hiboost.com like I did. I have around 65k on my Hiboost kit and couldn't be happier!!

2003pro5 said:
Well i finished paying off my pro5 and I'm really considering getiing a MSP. The ones i've been looking into have 35-55K miles on it for around $10-$12, my question is how reliable are they and what problems should I expect?

My Pro5 has 48000miles and no serious problems except for the short that cost $175

Please any suggestions or comments

thanks

Attachments

• cai 002.jpg
    cai 002.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 132
Turbo kit

I was looking into a kit ,they go around 3500 plus the install, I was trading mine and waht I would pay would be around $3000 for the MSP

shane02pro5 said:
I think you would be better off with a turbo kit. My P5 will be paid off at income tax. You can search and see that most have upgraded their Mazdaspeed with parts most Turbo kits will come with. Fuel management hardpipes and FMIC and bigger turbo +much more power to start with.

I recommend you visit www.Hiboost.com like I did. I have around 65k on my Hiboost kit and couldn't be happier!!

MSP's are pretty reliable if left stock. But leaving them stock isn't fun...the bad tune alone makes it kind of annoying.

Depends on what you are looking for, if you get the turbo get for your P5 you will be ahead of an MSP by a lot power wise, but lack the suspension. Are you tired of your P5's looks or handling? If so I say go MSP (among others but for the price it's one of the better looking newer cars). If you want power I say go turbo kit.

Common MSP problems include:
Clunk from swaybar
Creeking front suspension
Bad factory tune
LSD failure (not all have but a big chunk of people have had this happen)
Other minor annoyances (sagging rear lip, exhaust tip cracking...)

It's by no means a problem free car but now that some time has passed you can look at what other people have had to go through and make your decision from that. Aftermarket suppliers aren't in abundance but the ones that do supply parts try their hardest to get what the people want.

i sill likre the way it looks but its an Auto w/manual shift, I miss the Manual. For some reason I been getting aroun 19mpgcity and about 24Hway. So if i go with the turbo I'll be paying more for the same if i get the MSP w/manual I should be doing better. I like both styles just want more speed.

03MSP said:
MSP's are pretty reliable if left stock. But leaving them stock isn't fun...the bad tune alone makes it kind of annoying.

Depends on what you are looking for, if you get the turbo get for your P5 you will be ahead of an MSP by a lot power wise, but lack the suspension. Are you tired of your P5's looks or handling? If so I say go MSP (among others but for the price it's one of the better looking newer cars). If you want power I say go turbo kit.

Common MSP problems include:
Clunk from swaybar
Creeking front suspension
Bad factory tune
LSD failure (not all have but a big chunk of people have had this happen)
Other minor annoyances (sagging rear lip, exhaust tip cracking...)

It's by no means a problem free car but now that some time has passed you can look at what other people have had to go through and make your decision from that. Aftermarket suppliers aren't in abundance but the ones that do supply parts try their hardest to get what the people want.

Mine is not realible I spend around $3000 in repair last year. Currently has powersteering problems and engine check on. Unless, you find a good one and under warranty I would not reccomand. Currently try to sell mine for around $9000 with 67000mi. Bad factory tune.. thats most common on my car = runs rich or runs lean all the time. Hope this help. Other than maintainance ..... cars is like a dream.

Polonia2 said:
Mine is not realible I spend around $3000 in repair last year. Currently has powersteering problems and engine check on. Unless, you find a good one and under warranty I would not reccomand. Currently try to sell mine for around $9000 with 67000mi. Bad factory tune.. thats most common on my car = runs rich or runs lean all the time. Hope this help. Other than maintainance ..... cars is like a dream.

Just get a DSM AFC ... no more bad tune and its like under $300.

when i bought mine used, it had just under 45k on it.

so far the only problems i had were:
- cracked windshield (replaced)
- dead kenwood stock headunit (replaced with a more reliable Pioneer hu)
- squeaky rear bushings (replaced warranty by dealer)

With proper maintenance, i don't see how this car wouldn't last me many years. I will be doing timing belt and water pump soon. My mods are in my sig, which have definitely made it a smoother and funner car to drive.

2003pro5 said:
i sill likre the way it looks but its an Auto w/manual shift, I miss the Manual. For some reason I been getting aroun 19mpgcity and about 24Hway. So if i go with the turbo I'll be paying more for the same if i get the MSP w/manual I should be doing better. I like both styles just want more speed.

That is one very good thing about the MSP, gas mileage. When I was running stock injectors I could get 35mpg on the highway, 25-27 in the city.

I still haven't figured out if the reliability problems people are having come from the fact that some of the MSP's are unlucky or just that those people treat the car like s*** and don't admit it.

My car has 42k on it, I've been running 14+ psi for quite some time (tuned) and have had no mechanical problems at all up to this point. If you can find a good deal go for it. I still say look around though I don't know of any car 2003+ that can match the style/extras that come with the MSP for the same price.

mine will be up for sale some time in the near future. about 13k is my goal and just under 38k miles on it. At the moment the trunk is CF but i could get a protege trunk with a wing (non MSP). It also has Enkei RSV's in bronze

My MSP is stock, never modified (save a MBC) and I find it's always been very reliable. It has been timed it's whole life, and I'm right around 30k miles right now. I've had it since 403 miles. Sure, it squeaks like hell, which is terribly annoying. It sounds like an old broken down mattress when I get out of it, and in the winter when you go over a bump you cringe, but aside from that the car's been great.

Back