Looking for stock CX-5 radio (7" TFT touchscreen verson)

S3 is not compatible with USB mode in the Mazda because it uses MTP or Camera mode for accessing memory (instead of USB mode) Older android phones that support USB mode may work. But if you have an S3 you're stuck with Bluetooth or using a 3.5mm plug into your phones headphone jack.

Personally the Bluetooth audio works fine with me. It's in stereo and sounds no different that when I plug my iPod touch in.

For those of you ditching the stock head unit. Can you access the built-in factory settings via after-market units. I'm thinking specifically of the navigation system and some of the settings such as the programming for the wipers and the door locks that are done on screen. It would be really sad if you had to plug the old unit in if you needed to change something, but I can't see Mazda designing their system to work with other products (why would they?)

Last edited:
S3 is not compatible with USB mode in the Mazda because it uses MTP or Camera mode for accessing memory (instead of USB mode) Older android phones that support USB mode may work. But if you have an S3 you're stuck with Bluetooth or using a 3.5mm plug into your phones headphone jack.

Personally the Bluetooth audio works fine with me. It's in stereo and sounds no different that when I plug my iPod touch in.

For those of you ditching the stock head unit. Can you access the built-in factory settings via after-market units. I'm thinking specifically of the navigation system and some of the settings such as the programming for the wipers and the door locks that are done on screen. It would be really sad if you had to plug the old unit in if you needed to change something, but I can't see Mazda designing their system to work with other products (why would they?)

Most of us that changed out the radio had that pos orange lettered radio. We did not have the screen and personalization features available. You can't miss what you didn't have in the first place. As far as navigation I now have it using motion x on my iPhone. The aftermarket radio easily displays all navigation onto to the radio display and sound through the speakers from my iPhone. As far as I am concerned a much better solution than the Tom Tom unit you have to install for 400 bucks and requires periodic map updates.

Last edited:
Most of us that changed out the radio had that pos orange lettered radio. We did not have the screen and personalization features available. You can't miss what you didn't have in the first place. As far as navigation I now have it using motion x on my iPhone. The aftermarket radio easily displays all navigation onto to the radio display and sound through the speakers from my iPhone. As far as I am concerned a much better solution than the Tom Tom unit you have to install for 400 bucks and requires periodic map updates.

So if i'm going to change my oem head unit to aftermarket head unit, i can't setting my door lock, wipers, etc?

Back