looking for in car navigation

:
03 protege dx 5spd
ok so my g/f is moving here (new orleans) from a much smaller city, and i was looking at getting her some type of in car navigation. something like the tomtom or along that same idea. is there anything i should look for or one company better than the other? or is this really just not worth it?

i was looking at one myself. sony has the nvu70. very fairly priced. nice features. similar to the tom tom. i've heard mixed reviews regarding the tom toms. magellan is top of the line, followed by garmin.

Garmin is good, i have one ill post the model number. Its mobile and can be moved from car to car and can also be used on water crafts as well. I have had no complaints and works like a champ. Ill let you know.

How 'bout you save your self a few hundred bucks for mods, and get her a $14.99 map. Just take her with you everywhere you go for a while. The main thing about learning a new city is getting the major roads down. Once you have that, you're all set. My wife was nervous about San Antonio when we lived there a few years ago. I told her there were only 4 roads that mattered. (I-10, I-35, 410, and 1610 for those who know) Everything else is in relation to those. Use the same teaching for NO: I-10, I-610, 510, 90, etc. Anything else is in relation to those (south of I-10, west of 510, etc). Letting her learn it rather than depend on gps is not only more fun, it's cheaper.

memo79 said:
How 'bout you save your self a few hundred bucks for mods, and get her a $14.99 map. Just take her with you everywhere you go for a while. The main thing about learning a new city is getting the major roads down. Once you have that, you're all set. My wife was nervous about San Antonio when we lived there a few years ago. I told her there were only 4 roads that mattered. (I-10, I-35, 410, and 1610 for those who know) Everything else is in relation to those. Use the same teaching for NO: I-10, I-610, 510, 90, etc. Anything else is in relation to those (south of I-10, west of 510, etc). Letting her learn it rather than depend on gps is not only more fun, it's cheaper.

well im not sure if you have ever lived in new orleans, but you never get in the interstate unless your leaving the city or comming back into it. to get around town (ie to work, to the store, to anywhere) its all surface streets are there are SO many of them, ive lived here for a while and still come across roads ive never been on and only really know the area i live in. id like her to have this incase she gets off track when im not with her and cant be on the phone. if you take one wrong turn in new orleans you will end up in the ghetto. being the skinny blonde girl that she is, i dont think shed be able to handle that. a map is an idea, but not so easy to listen to/see while your driving. i do plan on teacher her myself no dobut but also would love for her to have this! she has no sense of direction and gets lost in merritt island!

its a thought though. if worst comes to worst imma just have to teach her.

Always been a fan of the Garmin Streetpilot series. Fairly simple to use, good interface and they actually work. Just need to keep them updated in areas that have heavy building going on, or in your case rebuilding as things can change.

justanotheradikt said:
well im not sure if you have ever lived in new orleans, but you never get in the interstate unless your leaving the city or comming back into it. to get around town (ie to work, to the store, to anywhere) its all surface streets are there are SO many of them, ive lived here for a while and still come across roads ive never been on and only really know the area i live in. id like her to have this incase she gets off track when im not with her and cant be on the phone. if you take one wrong turn in new orleans you will end up in the ghetto. being the skinny blonde girl that she is, i dont think shed be able to handle that. a map is an idea, but not so easy to listen to/see while your driving. i do plan on teacher her myself no dobut but also would love for her to have this! she has no sense of direction and gets lost in merritt island!

its a thought though. if worst comes to worst imma just have to teach her.

I agree! I lived over in mandeville for 10 years and everytime i came acorss the causeway I would get lost getting to the business district. not to mention parts of metairie and harahan... But i do agree on getting a Gps i never hand one but N.O is a big place.

Back