looking for hp

mattz

im looking to get a chip/programer to increase my p5 horse power. i want to spend around $300. any ideas?

There aren't chips for the Proteges... ever. And you wont be finding much more power for $300 unfortunately. However...

For $300 you can buy yourself an intake and flash your ECU over to Protege MP3 specs from a member on here. The MP3 ECU is the best basic mod you can do on the P5. It smooths out the power delivery by advancing the ignition timing. The result is a much happier running car, and a few hp to boot. The only thing is, you would have to remove the VCTS butterflies in the intake manifold, since the MP3 lacks them. There's a write-up on that on here somewhere. Or you could run a single runner intake manifold from a 626.

There are some other combinations of mods you could do.. but these are the two best I could come up with for $300. Welcome to the money pit! lol

*Edit* If your P5 is automatic, you cant do the MP3 ECU.

You dont have to remove the vtcs screws when swapping ecus, but I removed mine just for piece of mind. They were in much better shape than I imagined. If you do swap manifolds, make sure to replace all the washers on your injectors. I had my car on ramps for another week waiting on these lil things!(bang)

Last edited:
I said the butterflies. You'd really recommend leaving those in with an ECU that wont open them? Kinda restrictive dontcha think?

Last edited:
i have the cold air intake,exhaust and just bought headers but was wondering if more power was possible

Oops I meant butterflies too. Yeah it looks pretty restrictive, but it shouldn't hurt to leave them in with the new ecu. I left mine in for 2 weeks while I worked on a separate intake mani.

flash your ECU over to Protege MP3 specs from a member on here. How would i do this? I dont know much about cars but like Ricky Bobby I wanna go fast"

i have the cold air intake,exhaust and just bought headers but was wondering if more power was possible

Not much without doing engine work. Do suspension mods next if you haven't already. You could get good struts and springs, but for around $500. I recommend the Eibach Pro-kit with Tokico Blue Struts.

In the stock intake manifold there are 2 sets of butterflies. One set you can live with (ViCS) and one set that is better off removed, the VTCS. It's a cold-start emissions reducer and a serious restriction in breathing of your engine. The VCTS is found right before the intake runners end and go into the cylinder head.

VCTS
VTCS_pics_(4).JPG

And a how-to thread.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82884

I was under the impression that it needed to be removed. My mistake. But why not remove it? I recommend it.

You can run any gas with the MP3 ecu, it just changes the timing for which fuel you put in.

You can run any gas with the MP3 ecu, it just changes the timing for which fuel you put in.

Incorrect...it's designed to run on 91 octane. Where did you get this information?
You can use 89 in a pinch but it's not recommended. And don't use 87.

As I've said many times on the forum, the 626 manifold swap is the single best N.A. power mod you can do, I Know I've done a lot.

im looking to get a chip/programer to increase my p5 horse power. i want to spend around $300. any ideas?

As I've said many times on the forum, the 626 manifold swap is the single best N.A. power mod you can do, I Know I've done a lot.

is it just a drop in and you swap all the stuff from the stock p5 manifold? and can i just snag one off ebay or do you have to buy that kit off PG as well?

Back