Looking at buying a MSP and want advice? Post here!

If it is stock compression ratio and low boost (~6psi) I could see it running well with that setup. The stock tune is so rich that it may run better with a GT28RS; others have had good results. I've actually wondered if the prototype was tuned on a 28 originally but got swapped to a 25 due to cost and reliability issues. I think the stock exhaust would still be acceptable (and quiet) as long as the boost is low. I'm currently on a stock turbo @ 9psi with stock exhaust and my car puts down over 212whp/215tq. My gut feeling is you could run about 230whp on the stock exhaust.

I would not be inclined to buy a car that had that much work and was untuned. I know for fact a local blew his car up by running it lean due to a turbo swap that wasn't tuned for.

the stock cat back flows well on the msp an upgrade downpipe and mid pipe would add more power and sound then getting an aftermarket cat back before the dp and midpipe

I didn't notice a drastic sound difference when I removed the cats. Didn't notice a huge difference when I put them back on for trade in either. Flow change is no question though.

the MAF couldnt compensate with more fuel with the larger turbo and more psi? im pretty sure the vehicle im looking at only has the flashed ecu, slight timing and such but otherwise no tunning. But probably has upped psi also
just asked about downpipe and also, thinking he only kept the main cat and muffler

the MAF couldnt compensate with more fuel with the larger turbo and more psi? im pretty sure the vehicle im looking at only has the flashed ecu, slight timing and such but otherwise no tunning. But probably has upped psi also
just asked about downpipe and also, thinking he only kept the main cat and muffler

It can try, but it will only be accurate within a certain percentage. When I changed the mufflers on my GTO I had to retune to get my fuel trims dialed in.

I find it really odd that someone would put forged internals in an engine, and not tune it.

yeah i found it odd too, he said mainly for inspections and such, but i figure an SSAFC wouldnt fail an OBD2 inspection, while being necessary to up to boost. hes put a couple thousand already on the engine with no ill effect but unsure on the car

stock tune has plenty of fuel. I was running stock tune while being fully bolted including a 505 intake mani and mam exhaust mani. I ran 9 psi on a 28rs and when I first got into boost my afr's were in the 10's and at redline the afr's were low 12's.

stock tune has plenty of fuel. I was running stock tune while being fully bolted including a 505 intake mani and mam exhaust mani. I ran 9 psi on a 28rs and when I first got into boost my afr's were in the 10's and at redline the afr's were low 12's.
Theres a difference between "it can be done" and "its a good idea".

ehh I ran mine like that for over a year daily driving the car. 505 runs his car the same way currently. Honestly I like the 28 better then the 25 less stress down low on the rods

So what if this car has run 14psi on those mods listed above, And knowing that would you guys steer clear or pick it up regardless as its an easier base to work with? then get supporting mods like exhaust and ssafc. Or get a stock one with supporting mods and pay to go forged? Also how long can you use the stock downpipe/ muffler if you have an aftermarket midpipe? thanks guys

I would say find an unabused one because anyone running 14psi on a 28rs on stock tune has been riding the short bus!!

or if your feeling ballsy

#1 compression test... Get one at the auto parts for $20 take 2min pull the plugs and do it.
#2 Make sure all gears are present... 14psi with a 28rs is no joke "Untuned LOL WOW" ... lsd and 3rd 4th gears are next after the rods

Just try and find one that has not been rebuilt yet. I doubt that that car was driven daily at 14 psi all of the time with the potato. But like Shane said check it out 4 ways to Sunday if you are thinking about buying it. And you don't have to have forged pistons and rods to have a fun, fast and reliable MSP.

opinions on a forged block but upped boost? stock turbo and no tune on a nonreflash? is the original ecu that bad up to fuel cut that youd never wana go above 10 without a piggyback?

I dont see why you would spend thousands to build the engine and get a bigger turbo and not spend a few hundread on a piggyback at least..

id totally agree, and the fact that people dont change the LSD at that point. No one here recomends welding the stock LSD and just getting a new one? even as a temp fix? and any info to do it?
This msp is on he stock gt25 and figured the tune couldnt be that bad until fuel cut could it? but from looking around it doesnt look to life threatening to the engine. but still unsure.

You would be better off getting a mfactory instead of welding the stock one. If the boost is low I dont see an issue with a gt28 with the stock tune, it should run better in fact. The stock tune is super rich.

yeah plan on doing that, but if could hold off for 3 yrs or so i would, and just have this welded for 2-3 hundred if possible. What does it take to do that?
But asking about high boost 10-15psi on a stock t25 on a forged block. High risk or okay/ worth getting?

Back