Looking at a p5 tomorrow, need some help/pointers!

yeah I just scoped out prices a little, and they're super expensive... I currently have the deck and the pocket underneath it like how hank has, and I kinda like the pocket, but I might splurge and get a real nice double din. We'll see though. Depends how much I throw into other mods.

yeah i'm definitely gonna replace that deck. Looks like sheeet. I'm thinking about getting a double din deck though maybe some in dash GPS action...?

yeah I just scoped out prices a little, and they're super expensive... I currently have the deck and the pocket underneath it like how hank has, and I kinda like the pocket, but I might splurge and get a real nice double din. We'll see though. Depends how much I throw into other mods.

Double Dins are nice, mine has everything on it i would ever need and then some more features ill never use. you can also get a good double din for less then 800 now if your not interested in nav. I just paid less then 500 installed for one for the wifes car has everything minus nav also made by Pioneer, I've also had way to many problems with the kenwood nav units..
IMG-20110801-00087.jpg

one of, if not the, main reasons I would get a double din is for navigation. I'm tired of popping my GPS into the windshield just to have it pop off just before a crucial turn. I'd use an ipod capable head unit so I can just control my ipod from my ipod, which is what I have now, if I don't end up with a double din.

one of, if not the, main reasons I would get a double din is for navigation. I'm tired of popping my GPS into the windshield just to have it pop off just before a crucial turn. I'd use an ipod capable head unit so I can just control my ipod from my ipod, which is what I have now, if I don't end up with a double din.

i have ipod control on mine but it is all through the headunit the ipod is actually behind the glove box in the car. only need to touch it to update it and add new movies to it. and the only reason i bought a DD was for nav.

Yeah I've got the cable coming out of my glove box so I just disconnect it to update and change songs and such. I can control it through the head unit, but 16,000 artists takes a long time to cycle through. And while the nav is worth it, I'm not sure if it's worth buying a double din unit when I've got a single din unit already that does what I want. We'll see, I'm sure I'd be real happy with it, but it's not at the top of my priority list. Certainly behind a SRI/CAI, exhaust, winter tires and summer rims/tires and eventually a new suspension.

if I had one of those mounts I'd have to figure out a good way to route the wire. I'm not a fan of a wire hanging down in front of my deck that will inevitably get caught when I shift. A nice in dash GPS would just look SO much cleaner. But I do like the pocket you get with a single din deck.

Any road trip planned yet or still searching for the 'right one'? And I see that you mentioned a winter set-up which is very smart living up in NH. You can def. save some cash on this by going with a 14" set-up. I'm using steelies from a '93 Eclipse (14x5.5...+35 offset...$100 for the set from a junkyard) and they just clear the calipers but I can mount some beefy 185/70s to them. Actually getting some Nokian Nordman 2's mounted and balanced today for $275 out the door including tax.

Stock height
attachment.php

Lowered on Tokico Blues and Tein S-Techs
attachment.php

Because I can. :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• P5snow.jpg
    P5snow.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 149
  • P5 - Snow Tire Test Fitment 002.jpg
    P5 - Snow Tire Test Fitment 002.jpg
    959.6 KB · Views: 167
  • P5 - 12810.jpg
    P5 - 12810.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 172
Interesting. I'm gonna be going up to the mountains a lot this winter so I definitely need some winter tires, my mom has all season tires and they work with anything less than an inch of snow on the road, and I'm thinking about moving out to Colorado to the Denver/Ft. Collins area so if I hit up the mountains there I think snows would be a good idea. I like the idea of some real cheap steelies. Another alternative is I have a pretty much new set of snows on my volvo which are 215/55/16 which according to common sense won't fit on stock p5 wheels, but I could get a set of 16x8.5 with the right offset and use my volvo snows. Otherwise I'd definitely go with a cheap junkyard pair of steelies, $100 for a set of winter rims sounds pretty good to me.

I'm thinking about heading down to the philly area (west chester) this weekend and picking up an '02 p5 with 80k on it. This Guy. I've just gotta talk it over with my dad a bit more, work out logistics and then call the guy up and figure out the price. Unfortunately I'm gonna be using a bank check so I've gotta figure out all the finances before we go down, so I've gotta argue the price just on what I can see from pics. But by looking at the condition I'm prepared to over pay a little, I think around 7k would be pretty solid for it. KBB value on the car in excellent condition is 7.5k and it looks like theres some rusting in the engine bay and other spots, nothing bad by any means, but it's not an immaculate grandma car.

Anybody wanna buy a 2000 volvo s80 2.9 with 160k on it, super reliable, yours for the one time only price of 3.5k ;)

So talked to the guy in PA and I'm gonna go down this weekend and pick up the car with everything for a cool $7,260 (which I'm happy about!) Fun build thread incoming Saturday night!!!

Last edited:
So the place I was gonna buy the car from, SOLD IT. to someone other than me. But a local place got one in from the auctions with 60k on it and they're asking $8k so I'm gonna go check it out see how it looks. On the one hand I'm kinda bummed that I'm not gonna get the car, but at the same time I feel a lot better about not driving 6 hours and running into the possibility of the car sucking.. Looks like the hunt continues for a bit..!

It's gotta be a standard. I've driving an auto for the last 4 years after my first car of under 3 months being a standard and I really want a standard again. I've looked at all the standards, the one in hookset (red one) was a rust bucket as is with no service history. The other manual one in quincy has some sick spiderman interior.
36637_23.jpg

36637_08.jpg

I've looked high and dry on craigslist, autotrader and cars.com all with no results of anything remotely nice. I've called up all the dealers within 100 miles or so and told them what I'm looking for.

The spider man one is pretty cool its only missing the spider air freshener. I didn't realise the stock shifters sit up so high glad my mp3 came with a short one ( hint hint) either way I love having a manual but sometimes if I want to just cruise id rather have an auto especially in cities

Back