looking at a cx7,question about gas mileage and octane?

bmf5150

me and my wife just looked at a used 2007 cx7 with 16,000 miles on it.we loved the way it drove and the power of the vehicle.i came home and started researching the vehicle like i allways do when im about to spend $17,000.00 on a vehicle.do you have to use higher ocatane or can you use 87 octane without having engine problems?what are most people getting gas milleage wise city driving?what can i expect?is there any difference in the 09 cx7 and the 07 cx7 with the way the vehicle will handle lower octane useage?thanks for your help..stan

Yes with the 07's you must use high octane fuel as they are tuned for 91 octane. There have been numerous reports of engine knock when lower grade fuel is used on the 2007 models. Changes were made to the engine computer to allow the regular use of 87 octane in the 2009 models.
We get 18 city 24 hwy in our FWD 2007 and dont mind the use of premium
in exchange for the great performance. AWD models get about 1-2 mpg less than the front wheel drives.

Yes with the 07's you must use high octane fuel as they are tuned for 91 octane. There have been numerous reports of engine knock when lower grade fuel is used on the 2007 models. Changes were made to the engine computer to allow the regular use of 87 octane in the 2009 models.
We get 18 city 24 hwy in our FWD 2007 and dont mind the use of premium
in exchange for the great performance. AWD models get about 1-2 mpg less than the front wheel drives.

so im better off waiting and getting the 2009 model..is the 2008 the same as the 2007?

In the manual, it says that 87 is OK to use, but still recommends 91. Are you modding? If you are, if you get the standback and pnp, you can lean out your fuel mixture quite a bit and get an extra 20-40 miles per tank..

2008 is same as 07 except you can use 87 octane. But you will not get the same hp and mpg- i noticed a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so im better off waiting and getting the 2009 model..is the 2008 the same as the 2007?

We love the 2007 and dont mind the extra $3.00 per tank. In a test report on the 2007, Road and Track said when they ran 87 they got about 15% lower
fuel economy. So you can either use more expensive fuel or use more of a lower cost fuel. Is $150.00 per year, reason not to enjoy the power and handling of the CX-7? I dont mind at all and even when gas costs go higher
the same $3.00 per tank applies. Go for it if you like the car.

i contacted a service dept at my local mazda dealer,and they told me that the only difference between the 2007 and 2009 is a software up date to deal with the difference in octane,so you dont have pinging..they said they can update an 2007 cx7 and it would cost about $100.00 for the update.do any of you guys know about this or have had it done?did it help..i dont mind paying for better gas now when gas is $1.70 per gallon but when it gets up to $4.00 per gallon again when the economy turns around,it will be too expensive for the prem gas..

In the manual, it says that 87 is OK to use, but still recommends 91. Are you modding? If you are, if you get the standback and pnp, you can lean out your fuel mixture quite a bit and get an extra 20-40 miles per tank..

no stock vehicle for the wife..thanks for your guys help!!

anyone get that upgrade?
I have a severe pinging issue with my 2007 even when using 91 octane California gasoline. I have had it to the dealer 5 times to try to solve this issue with no results. There is a new Service Bulletin out for this issue with the 2007. I have not had this done yet. There are other hardware differences
between the 2007 and 2008 units. If you cant pay the $3.00 per fill up for premimum I suggest you look at the 2008 or 2009.

Attachments

• 01-041-08-CX-7.pdf
    19.7 KB · Views: 767
yeah, supposedly there is more to it than just ecu. i think they changed the injectors or something too....

thanks guys fort he advice.i ended up buying a 2008.im a ford employee and with my discount on the cx7 and the zero percent financing it was not worth buying the used one..i have a brand new 2008 on the way.so did they upgrade this problem on the 2008?

thanks guys fort he advice i ended up buying a 2008. I have a brand new 2008 on the way.so did they upgrade this problem on the 2008?

I think that this is a good choice. I have a 2007 and love it but the 2008 seems to be way more issue free. You can try mid grade or lower and see how it goes. I think that the 2008 can be upgraded to the 2009 maps on
fuel but I believe that the used one can not.

the 2008 it is "recommended" premium. it gets worse gas mileage and doesn't shift as well on regular.

the 2007 is a hit and miss and so does the 2008. My 07 has been problem-free. I guess I'm lucky. All applicable TSB has been done by the dealership. I have been using mid-grade every now and then without issues. I have also filled up using regular one time without any issue.

My 2007 was awesome never had any issues... i miss it sometimes but then i step on the pedal on my 08 5.6L Pathfinder and hear the intake breathing and i go back to smiling again lol...

i drive a 2008. it was made in november 2007 and have no issues whatsoever....i only use shell 93 octane by the way

I have the gas cap issue on and off -- which is fine for now. When it's out of warranty however, I will not pay for them to fix it since it's been back there 4 or 5 times already. I'll go out of my way to dump the car if they try to make me pay.

Back