Looking at a 2002 P5 with 190k, what are the common problems?

mp5mike

What are some of the problems specific to the P5 that I should watch out for when looking at a used one? I'm pretty familiar with inspecting used cars and would just like to know some of the common issues with these cars before I check this one out.

We bought one new back in 2002 but never had any problems with it before we sold it. I'm thinking about buying another one as a third car. Thanks for any help.

What are some of the problems specific to the P5 that I should watch out for when looking at a used one? I'm pretty familiar with inspecting used cars and would just like to know some of the common issues with these cars before I check this one out.

We bought one new back in 2002 but never had any problems with it before we sold it. I'm thinking about buying another one as a third car. Thanks for any help.

common issues that i've run into since i've owned my p5 are the egr valve, just check to see if the car's idle is consistant. check all the power locks, the actuators are poorly designed. lol, other then that i cant really think of anything off the top of my head. oh and apparently the rear fenders like to rust.

Automatic trans can be an issue too. If equipped, make sure the shifts are smooth, and look at the fluid really good, burnt is not a good sign.

I just had this problem (137k) and I saw it a couple other times on the forum, check the rubber air intake hose for breaks or wear in the corrigation.

wheel bearings
rusted exhaust
rust in general
EGR
cracked air intake (accordion) tube
bad catalytic converter caused by failure of coilpacks
bad front and rear endlinks and/or worn swaybar bushings
worn engine mounts

Check the belts...190k is pushin it for a lot of cars...and I will second te checking of the tranny fluid...if IRS dark brown or black...run away lol should be pinkish red

My previous P5 had about 170K on it when I sold it. Rust is for sure one of the common problem for the P5, especially on the emblems on the hatch door. Then I had experienced seize rear brake caliper on both sides. Should look into the auto tranny as well, mine was not smooth until the car is fully warmed up.

200K miles and runs like a champ!

PCV shows signs of oil fouling (blowby :( ) so i put a filter on it and don't let it suck into the IM ;)

EGR still requires a shot of cleaner inthe TB throat once in a while.

UH, that is it! Great car!

Back