lookin for a good suspension

Karma_hunden

:
'04 protege, then '05 mazda 3i, then '06 MS6 GT, now '10 RX8 R3
looking for a good (maybe even used) suspension for a cheap-quick fix to the big oem gap.

What suspension do you recommend?

just get some springs.. no need for a whole suspension.. i dont have one personally but ive heard the best thing about H&R springs.

o nvmd i just saw the model/year mines a protege5 turbo ...megan racing slaes mazdaspeed 6 springs too.

im running the eibach's with new bilstiens. for a spirited daily driver, its a great setup for me on my ms6. 1.5 drop on all corners, filled the gap well and i dont bottom out. ive heard the h&r's are very popular on here also. Most of the common springs are running between 200-300. the new struts(if needed) are the expensive part if going with top quality units.

There are lots of options for springs. I have RPM Streets; I like them, I think it's about 1.5 inches drop.

REALLY? cuz i got a pair of tanabe spring for my speed6 the 1.2" drop ones... r u saying im not in a good place with them steve?

REALLY? cuz i got a pair of tanabe spring for my speed6 the 1.2" drop ones... r u saying im not in a good place with them steve?

I'm guessing they're simply Mz6 springs, not MS6 ones. Remember this:

-MS6 suspension sits lower
-MS6 is heavier than all variants of the Mz6
-MS6 spring rates may be higher than an aftermarket spring for the Mz6
-They need to have proper clearance for suspension travel on the MS6, which may not happen, although they would work without issue on the Mz6.

Karma_hunden, definitly check out the link steve posted... great resource.

i have the RPM streets from that list, if you want more of a moderate drop without being slammed, they give about an 1" average drop along with stiffer spring rate than stock. I absolutely love em. Fender gap went from about 4+ fingers to about 2+ finger gap.

I'm also running RPM Street springs. I think my car came down a little more than some of the others with the same springs, but I'm happy with the look and ride.

If I could do it all over again though, I'd probably go with the RPM Sports, or pick up somebody's old set of RPM K-spec springs and Koni shocks. Having to dodge certain parking lots and driveways because of approach/departure angles gets old after a while.

errr... RPM sports sit lower than streets. You would go even more nuts.
were k-specs not much of a lower?

idk why you feel you are lower than most with RPM streets? about two finger wheel gap right?
yay i scrape a lot, and have to angle down curbs a LOT, but *shrug* isnt THAT aggrevating...
for the performance and looks, id gladly sacrifice an extra 1-3 seconds for approach/departure angles.

:D

errr... RPM sports sit lower than streets. You would go even more nuts.
were k-specs not much of a lower?

idk why you feel you are lower than most with RPM streets? about two finger wheel gap right?
yay i scrape a lot, and have to angle down curbs a LOT, but *shrug* isnt THAT aggrevating...
for the performance and looks, id gladly sacrifice an extra 1-3 seconds for approach/departure angles.

:D

I'm old, and tired of worrying about ripping my bumper off on a stop block in a parking lot. My measurement may be way off, or I may just have thicker fingers than you guys. I'll take a measurement to the fender just for kicks...

Edit:

Per RPM's website, the sport springs lower the car around .5", the street springs lower the car 1.1"

Last edited:
Batou, the RPM Sports give a 0.5' drop, Streets are 1.1' front and 0.75" rear (per Steve's link), so Streets are lower, not Sports.

WHOOPS!!! ofc... lol i knew that...
ROFL i always forget which i have cause im used to the "SPORT"lines being the lower set. hehe
kinda like pro kit vs sportline.

haha, ima dufus... i remember thinking about getting sports instead. but deciding that spending that much cash for only a .5" drop wasnt worth it.
thanks for the correction! :p

Back