Lonely? Bored? Want to find someone willing to spend time to talk to you?

It's probably easier for someone to break into the Pentagon and steal crucial documents than to cancel an AOL account.

I get so much enjoyment out of ruining customer service people's day that I might just sign up for a free AOL trial and attempt to cancel it.

That's so awesome.

Years ago, when I was not so good at paying my credit cards, I had a Discover card account. After paying a couple of bills late, and while carrying a pretty big balance, they raised my APR to 25%. Eventually, I got a lower-rate card and transferred my Disco card balance to it. At that point, I called to cancel the Disco card.

I told the guy I wanted to cancel the account. He asked why? I said, because you guys raised my rate to 25%, wouldn't lower it when I asked you to, and I found another card. He said, ok, let me see what I can do. He came back from putting me on hold, and announced all proud of himself, that if I kept my card, he could drop me down to a 23% APR! Woo-*******-Hoo! I said no, thanks, just cancel the account. Then he offered me 21%! Again he sounded like he just saved my dog from the pound. Again, I said no, just cancel the account. Finally he's like, how about 18%? I said, look, you guys had your chance, just cancel the damned account.

Finally, he said, ok, let me transfer you to the right department.

I will NEVER AGAIN have a Discover card, at any rate, because of that one experience. This sort of "customer service" is such bad business practice.

Pro5Monkey said:
Why would anyone want to cancel their AOL account? (end sarcasm)
Why would anyone sign up for one in the first place? I have never used AOL, simply because they ripped people off when they were hourly pay based.

On a different note, I have a citibank platinum card. They literarly bend over backwards to accomodate my needs/requests every time I call (first) It pays to pay your bills ontime.

you know whats sucks? my wife and i decided to cancel our aol account yesterday. we have yet to actualy call and do it, but now i have something to look forward to :(

JOS3 said:
you know whats sucks? my wife and i decided to cancel our aol account yesterday. we have yet to actualy call and do it, but now i have something to look forward to :(

I suggest making a pot of coffee and prepare for a long verbal battle.

The worst part is how optimistic and upbeat the sales rep is on the other end. They talk to you like they've known you for years (but in an almost robot like way). Kinda' surreal.

JOS3 said:
worst case, you'll end up with a few free months of AOL

years ago before I had DSL I strung along AOL for months because they'd keep giving me free extensions (granted, I just used the AOL to connect, then minimized the whole thing)

nate0123 said:
worst case, you'll end up with a few free months of AOL

years ago before I had DSL I strung along AOL for months because they'd keep giving me free extensions (granted, I just used the AOL to connect, then minimized the whole thing)

My friend who used AOL before figured out the best way to cut his AOL account. What he did was simply cancel the credit card account that was registered with his AOL account. AOL couldn't charge him anything anymore while at the same time no usage on the AOL account, so it became an automatic cancellation after a while.

I had heard the same horror stories but actually found it harder finding the damn number to call and cancel harder than cancelling. Funny thing is the customer svc rep asked me why I was switching...my reason was upgrading to DSL (have sinced moved and now enjoying cable(first) )....her response - I have DSL also and you are going to love it, it is so much faster and better...WTF...

Back