Little help

stkmp5

:
2003 Protege5
I have bc coils and stock rims and tires. Bc's are all the way down in the front and my rears are lower to make it even all the way around the car. So, today I hit a good sized pothole going about 35mph. Now there is a small clunking noise somewhere around the gas pedal underneath the car. At least that's where it feels/sounds like it's coming from. It does not clunk all the time. Seems to only do it over slight bumps every once in a while. I do not think it is the endlinks because they appear to be fine. Also, it does not look like my springs are broken.

So my questions are, has anyone had this problem before or any idea of what it might be?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will be jacking it up on Sunday. So until then I'll drive it and hope it's nothing serious.

Here's a way to diagnose if it's sway bar related.

Find a driveway with a good thick bump at the end of it (a good 4-5cm). Now drive your car over it at a 45 degree angle so that both front tires don't go over the bump at the same time, then repeat with the other side of the car, finally do it again but try to get both tires to hit the bump at the same time. If it's swaybar-related you should hear a similar noise when you go over one tire at a time regardless of what side of the car went over first. Also when both tires hit at the same time the noise should be much quieter.

If that's not the case then look elsewhere (ball joint, LCA bushing, etc).

Back