lightning strike???

cilyjr

Contributor
:
manual, MP5 2002
early this morning I was awakened by a particulary bad lightningstorm, when it was almost over there was a strike out in the courtyard of the apartment building... when we (my girlfriend and i) got up and started to goto work she noticed that the remote entry system on her VW golf wasn't working... after a small investigation, we found the tree she was parked next to had a sprial stripe of bark missing than about six feet or so above the ground a small exit wound. it seems that the strike hit the tree and arced to the car antenna.the car is pretty much dead. the lights try to come on but there is nodigital display nor will the engine make much of an attempt to turn over. i was wondering if anyone has had this happen or knows somebody that it happened to and was the car brought back from the dead? frankly this one is amazing to me, I just can't believe it!

Thats strange....

Topgear did a lighting strike test on a vw golf a while ago by simulating a lighting strike with a powerplant. It was fine.

Sounds like it blew a bunch of fuses and might need a new ecu.

i remember that episode. i'm shocked to hear that. even a direct hit shouldn't do anything since the rubber from the tires should neutralize it or something like that. the charge has to where to go so it disperses.

i'm no science major or anything but that's what i recollect from watchin the tube.

try disconnecting the battery for a few mins and reconnecting it and see what happens... otherwise, it's time to call the insurance ;)

FL_PR5 said:
i remember that episode. i'm shocked to hear that. even a direct hit shouldn't do anything since the rubber from the tires should neutralize it or something like that. the charge has to where to go so it disperses.

i'm no science major or anything but that's what i recollect from watchin the tube.

if the lightning can arc from a tree to a car antenna then tires prolly won't do much to stop it from arcing down to the ground. yeah check your fuses

nealric said:
Thats strange....

Topgear did a lighting strike test on a vw golf a while ago by simulating a lighting strike with a powerplant. It was fine.

Sounds like it blew a bunch of fuses and might need a new ecu.

i saw that one... cpu is my guess....

battery, fuses, and anything visible all fine... it was towed to the VW dealer (where she used to be a manager so we trust them) but thew won't look at until monday i guess....
full coverage 200 deductable....they say it "probably" is covered under the other than accident clause

cilyjr said:
it seems that the strike hit the tree and arced to the car antenna.

I saw a TV show once where they drove a car around a bunch of huge Van de Graaff generators to simulate lightning strikes. Before doing so they hung a chain from the frame so the current wouldn't burn the tires AND removed the antenna. I think you may be about to find out why they took off the antenna.

Anyway, if the lightning really did hit the antenna then it could be bad news since that would have allowed a discharge path through part of the car's wiring, arcing who knows where to the ground, to the body, and then out from there to the dirt.

Lightning can indeed fry your car. The whole "tires keep it insulated" thing isn't true. Think about it: When people get hit who are wearing tennis shoes (pretty much the same as tires) they get fried. I saw a thing on Discovery or the news once where a lady in a new VW bug had her car hit by a bolt during a storm and it fried everything electronic in the vehicle.

Correct, rubber doesn't do anything. It is the metal exterior of the car that keeps you safe if you are in it. Good luck with the insurance agency if that path is needed.

subbing out of sheer curiosity. That s***'s crazy dude, good luck w/ getting it fixed. Any pics of the car / tree? Sounds nuts!

i can post some of the tree maybe tomarrow...it's not that impressive, but the one thing thats cool isthe stripped bark that sprials down tree. i thought it was cool it turns out (as we've been looking around on line) lightning always sprials down trees in the same direction! the car doesn't appear to have any damage to it. not counting the fact it doesn't work. it has been at the dealer all weekend they won't look at it until monday.... i also saw online that often after a lightning strike that often all four tires go flat after a day or so because of hundreds of micro exit holes the strike makes... the other interesting fact we learned is 3%-5% of all insurance claims are lightning related!!! keep the posts coming!!!

Thats nuts, at work our work truck was struck by lightning and it was fine other than quirky headlights and displays. Interested to see what comes of this.

I wanna know what happens too...since the car has been sitting there (at dealer) for 3 days now!!!!
Because of curiosity will now give the specific symptoms of the car ... (in order of how we noticed them)
the remote entry/security system down
1.)odo (in a VW displays 24/7) dead
2.)int lights dead
3.)headlights make half-hearted effort to come on
4.)car will try to crank but no elect going through glow plugs ( did i mention it was a desiel ((tdi))
5.)all fuses (that were checked including under the hood) are... good
6.)battery checked w/ volt meter... good

We will hear from the dealer ASAP as my girlfriend was the business manager there for several years (so service manager is a friend) and we trust them. So I will post their findings tomorrow night or Tuesday morning!!

Latest posts

Back