liftgate recall - now my hatch doesn't open as far

spiffikins

:
CX-5
I have a 2015 CX-5 Touring edition

I took my vehicle to the dealership a few weeks ago, to have them replace the liftgate struts under the recall. Now my liftgate does not open as high as it used to - it seems to get "stuck" sooner than it should?

I have an appointment Tuesday morning to take it back in to have them look at it - but it would be nice to have some measurement other than "I've been using my liftgate for the past 3 years and never felt like I was going to hit my head - since you replaced the struts, I'm flinching/ducking every time I use it, and if I stand straight up and stretch my neck a bit, the top of my head brushes the hatch - which was never an issue previously"

I searched but can't find any official documentation on what the open height of the liftgate SHOULD be - is anyone willing to measure theirs?

thanks!

You know, I thought I was going crazy. I agree with you that tail gate does not open as high as it used to.

OK, I measured it for you. From the flat garage floor to the edge of the metal above the latch it's 75.25". I have a 2014 GT with stock-sized 19" tires (28.7" in height). I have not had the recall done and most likely won't. My struts look brand new!

CX5Opening.jpg

Last edited:
They may have sacrificed some axial throw to make a more robust strut design. If there is a recall on something that is a convenience, not a safety concern, I'd prefer to not have it done until failure. Then you get a free replacement.

They may have sacrificed some axial throw to make a more robust strut design. If there is a recall on something that is a convenience, not a safety concern, I'd prefer to not have it done until failure. Then you get a free replacement.

Calif DMV, in their infinite wisdom, deemed this a "safety related recall" and wouldn't allow me to renew registration this year until I had it completed. Guess they figured guess they figured hatch might fall on my head one day and make me an unsafe driver!

OK, I measured it for you. From the flat garage floor to the edge of the metal above the latch it's 75.25". I have a 2014 GT with stock-sized 19" tires (28.7" in height). I have not had the recall done and most likely won't. My struts look brand new!

Same here except for a 2016 GT.

Calif DMV, in their infinite wisdom, deemed this a "safety related recall" and wouldn't allow me to renew registration this year until I had it completed. Guess they figured guess they figured hatch might fall on my head one day and make me an unsafe driver!

How ironic if CA forces the "repair" and then people get injured smacking their heads on the now lower hatch :p

Add another "I thought it was just me". I had mine done three weeks ago, and I've lost count of how many times I've whacked my head on it since. I'm 6' 6" though and put it down to just needing to pay even more attention than usual. Geez.

I just measured my 2016 GT post-recall, and it's 74.75". Apparently a half inch does matter, especially when it's in the rear (naughty)

DMV is checking recalls?
They are now. My registration form listed the recall number and said I could only register the car by snail mail (no internet processing) with proof that the work had been done. The dealer supplies a yellow card with the recall info filled in after they replaced the struts.

I did the recall and I noticed that the lift gate does not touch the open garage door when I open the gate. It could in the past if I didn't park quite right in the garage.

How ironic if CA forces the "repair" and then people get injured smacking their heads on the now lower hatch :p

This is really bad news. I really don't want to worry about bumping my head on the opened hatch!

Maybe I can ask for the "old" parts back when they do the recall?

I wonder if the old struts started at that height and actually relax a bit over time. Half an inch isn't too much.

Tbh i bumped my head about 3 times since this was done on my hatch

I have a cx-5 from 2017 and the tail gate lifts a little too high and hits the garage ceiling. I would not mind using the struts that u guys are complaining about. What make and size of strut is it? so that I can change mine to a shorter one.

I have got my registration yesterday, I will have to look at it, to see if they mention about the recall.

I have a cx-5 from 2017 and the tail gate lifts a little too high and hits the garage ceiling. I would not mind using the struts that u guys are complaining about. What make and size of strut is it? so that I can change mine to a shorter one.
Height is adjustable.

Height is adjustable.

IF the op has the Swedish equivalent of a Touring with the Preferred Package or better equipped with a power liftgate.
According to the Mazda website, lesser versions in the U.S. don't have this feature.

I know that lift height wasn't adjustable on my former '13 or '14 CX-5s that had manual liftgates.

Back