License Plate bulb replacement

melmonta

:
2008 Mazda CX9
Good morning.
In spite of what the owners manaul states , I cannot remove the lens to replace the bulbs. Has anyone encountered this? Has anyone found a solution? Thanks for the help

I had a similar issue, I used a smaller screwdriver to get the lens to come off. Depending on which side of the lens you are on, you will leverage the screwdriver toward the middle of the lens. It does take more force than normal, make sure the screwdriver is situated in the groove as far back as you can.

Good Luck!

Attachments

• Lens.jpg
    Lens.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2,797
Have you managed to remove the lens?
It was driving me crazy for several weeks, and finally yesterday I did it. This is the most hideous design I have ever seen. The locking pins are inside the glass. As per gcssat's instruction, you have to press a screwdriver toward the middle, so it will push the bottom of the lens away from the locks.
If you it still doesn't work for you, let me know and I will take some pics.

i found it easier and safer to remove the light assembly to access the bulbs...

-once the rear door is up, remove the trim panel door that is closest to the latch and you will see the harnesses that connect to the lens assemblies.
-depress the tabs that hold the assembly in place and push it outward.
-disconnect the harness, replace with a quality LED, and forget about ever having to do that ever again.

i found it easier and safer to remove the light assembly to access the bulbs...

-once the rear door is up, remove the trim panel door that is closest to the latch and you will see the harnesses that connect to the lens assemblies.
-depress the tabs that hold the assembly in place and push it outward.
-disconnect the harness, replace with a quality LED, and forget about ever having to do that ever again.

I was searching back here on the forum to find out tips, and this indeed was most useful.

As per the Veilside1 method, I also found it "easiest" to do the same and fully remove the lens assembly.

Wow that lens cover is certainly not designed for easy access.

Anyway now I have some nice quality LED bulbs fitted instead...

Is this for all mazdas? Both of mine are out and i figured i would just replace the whole thing because it looks super foggy.

02 protege es.

Back