Lewis7789's 2003 Protege5 build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a beautiful thing :) except the snow. Go away snow and cold so this build can commence!

There won't be a build thread for the Speed6 because honestly it's going to stay how it is. I'll tint the windows this week and maybe lowering springs eventually, but that's it. I have to get the front bumper repainted since it's peeling. But she'll be my DD and it's SO much cheaper to build, drive, race the P6. The Speed6 has a couple fun mods already, like a 3" intake, CPE top mount, shifter plate, Dashhawk, Cobb accessport and a few other little things. 139k miles but 175-180 compression across the board and runs great.

photobucket-6886-1362332219721_zpsfa2cd029.jpg

photobucket-6539-1362332238111_zpsb04b9810.jpg

Sold the Milly this morning for $1700 (actually broke even, lulz).

I guess you need to be invited to the Multiple Mazda Owners' Photoshoot later in the Spring/Summer. Question is who will be drivng the other car?

Last edited:
just one thing real quick...with the ms6 mod list it does have upgraded fuel pump internals correct?

Indeed it does, Corey.

For anyone who doesn't know the background, I bought it from my buddy Jake who has a ~500hp Spped3. He bought it in the fall for his work DD, it was all stock when he bought it and the previous owner took really good care of it and I have receipts for everything. Jake cleaned the intake valves, did a compression check, replaced the injector seals (which we are going to double check) and added all the mods. This cat knows his MZR motors. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

But again, it's not going to be another money dumpster, the P5 is for that. I can't afford to break the MS6. If I put the P5 into a wall or blow a motor I can replace it easily.

Last edited:
I actually got some wrenching done this weekend. My friend Jake showed me how to install injectors seals in the MS6. He had the Toyota seals in there but was unaware of a beveled side when he installed them. So we replaced them some fresh ones and made sure they were seated correctly. Then an oil change and drain the catch can. She's running like a champ again.

I went up to Cleveland to buy a bench vise (finally!) for $20.
photobucket-6982-1362954114918_zpsc2c1b57a.jpg

Then I did some work for the neglected P6. I trimmed off the inlet/outlets for the Mishimoto radiator and trimmed off the worthless mounting tabs for the Mishimoto fan shroud (that thing didn't line up for s*** so I returned it and will just run standard slim fans).
photobucket-5986-1362953987288_zpsda84b3cb.jpg

I trimmed some tubing I bought that's the proper diameter for the KL and mocked everything up for tig welding which will be done by Jay Racing in Dayton.

photobucket-6758-1362953928177_zps116a77b9.jpg

photobucket-5777-1362953943262_zpsee0faec7.jpg

photobucket-6648-1362954003598_zps107e2d89.jpg

Everything will clear the alternator, header and fans just fine.

Then I started on the spare intake mani I have removing the VRIS butterflied. I forgot to take pics but they are similar to the FS butterflies, one big one and a little guy. And of course, the little bolts stripped so I drilled them out, then tapped the actuator arm holes for bigger bolts, used some RTV on the threads. I couldn't find my 8mm hex head socket to remove the fuel rails so I can smooth out the casting lines and prep it for paint (silver)

photobucket-5863-1362954018838_zpsba50263b.jpg

And I picked up this little trick somewhere and wanted to share; if you're making your own coolant/intercooler lines you can use a crimper to make the ridge to secure the hoses. I tried it out on a scrap tube and it worked really well.

photobucket-6869-1362953910771_zpsc1799c44.jpg

Seat brackets should be here Tuesday-ish then I can mock those up in the car. Warmer weather means more wrenching! :)

And we had a Mazda meet saturday night, always good to see the crew. My MS6 is on the left and my old silver P5 is on the far right. It was good to see the old girl! She's still running strong!

MazdaMeet-March-09-2013-DSC07834_zpsbe24a62e.jpg

looking good Evan, you will be very happy with the welding skills at Jays Racing. They did all the welding on my new valve covers and if they were closer i would have them weld a few others things that i need done eventually. Very professional shop that knows what they are doing, and treats you properly.

Haha, longest wait of my life. Shipped February 20th and arrived March 13th. Go USPS!

I ordered some thermal spacers from Jay Racing (4 hours south) and they shipped to my old address and took almost a full month to arrive at my new address (20 mins west). Gotta love the USPS...

Looking forward to bolting them in and checking out the new seat position in the car. So far these look like they are lower than the OEM pieces which is what I was hoping for.

I don't now what part but the single slides break cause there only dipending on one side to lock it in. Mine broke on the side that locks. But I am not sure if I have a wedge slider.

Oh nice I got some wedge brackets too but those sliders I has one it broke just giving u a heads up

I don't now what part but the single slides break cause there only dipending on one side to lock it in. Mine broke on the side that locks. But I am not sure if I have a wedge slider.

I don't understand. You broke a wedge slider that you don't know if you have it one or not?

Lookin good dude! Glad to see you having fun with the newest addition to your fam.

I like the idea of hardpiping the cooling lines like that - but it's a tad late for me to do it.

I do want to tell ya though - I just put those Tein Basic Damper Coilovers for the Probe GT into my P5 and WOW! 9kgf Front/6kgf Rear springrates will now suffice to hold the weight of the KL engine. Those S-Tech's are nice, but only with a 2.0-sized powerplant. small fitment issues, but got those overcome. Now - spacers to keep the tires away from the springs......lol.

btw - I want your vice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back